We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

Coming from Chgo for a weekend in October. Already made a reservation our 1st night at Atlantic Seafood as we are staying in the Back Bay area. We would like a good Italian in the North End. Read up on so many and now confused! Thought possibly Taranta,or Mama Maria but want TA advice. Does not have to be the most expensive ... just some really good Italian and maybe a little atmosphere!

Also 1 more night. Someone we know recommended Oyster House as it is the oldest restaurant in Boston but we are open for suggestions. Used to good food in Chgo so we want the same but a place special to Boston. Top of the Hub worthwhile or do you basically pay for the view?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,273 Reviews
Boston, MA
Taranta
Taranta
284 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Top of the Hub
Top of the Hub
2,567 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I find the food at Union Oyster House terrible and yes, you're paying for the view at Top of the Hub. I was recently in Chicago and the restaurant scene there is really something else--it would be a shame to only hit the tourist spots in Boston.

For Italian in the North End, some of my favorites are Prezza, Lucca, Mare, Rabias and Carmen. However, some of my favorite Italian restaurants are *not* in the North End, like Coppa in the South End and Erbaluce in Bay Village.

My advice would be to go to Neptune Oyster in the North End so you can explore the neighborhood and get your fix of local seafood, then go to Coppa or Erbaluce for Italian another night.

Mentioned in this post
Union Oyster House
Union Oyster House
5,101 Reviews
Boston, MA
Top of the Hub
Top of the Hub
2,567 Reviews
Boston, MA
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Prezza
Prezza
330 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lucca
Lucca
472 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,273 Reviews
Boston, MA
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Erbaluce
Erbaluce
415 Reviews
Boston, MA
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,708 Reviews
Boston, MA
Coppa
Coppa
300 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

The food is good at the Top of the Hub, but you do pay extra for the view.

Boston
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Strongly agree with suggestion of Neptune Oyster in the North End one night, and another night somewhere else for Italian. I'd lean toward Erbaluce for a more relaxed and creative meal, and Coppa if you want a very lively atmosphere and somewhat packed scene, albeit with great food.

Mentioned in this post
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,708 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,273 Reviews
Boston, MA
Erbaluce
Erbaluce
415 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I haven't eaten a full meal lately at Union Oyster House, but it IS fun to visit. Here's what I like to do, and this might work for you. Stop in sometime when you're in the Faneuil Hall area anyway. Look in the front door and see if there are seats (2?) at the raw bar. If there are, take them and order chowder and beer. Very atmospheric and I think the chowder is pretty good. I think it's the oldest continuously open restaurant in Boston, and it is appealingly old fashioned. In the North End, I love Mamma Maria for several reasons. The food is really wonderful, service is too, and its a beautiful restaurant. It's not quite as hectic, sitting on the edge of the kitchen as a lot of the North End restaurants. So if you want a bit less hectic, and grown up, try it. Or just go to the tiny bar on the second floor for a quick drink before you go elsewhere. Hope we can impress you, as the food in Chicago really is very good!

Mentioned in this post
Union Oyster House
Union Oyster House
5,101 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North End
North End
6,273 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mamma Maria
Mamma Maria
1,002 Reviews
Boston, MA
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Boston
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Taranta is good, but I would pick Mamma Maria over it, although you really can't compare them directly as Taranta has the Peruvian twist. Mamma Maria atmosphere is very nice and food is very good.

As was stated, Union Oyster House food is not great, but it is worth a visit to the bar for a lunch like steamers or oysters and chowder. See if you can go upstairs and see JFK's booth.

What kind of place are you looking for for the third night?

Mentioned in this post
Taranta
Taranta
284 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mamma Maria
Mamma Maria
1,002 Reviews
Boston, MA
Union Oyster House
Union Oyster House
5,101 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Substitute Union Oyster with Neptune Oyster, and Taranta is a solid choice.

Mentioned in this post
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,708 Reviews
Boston, MA
Taranta
Taranta
284 Reviews
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Thanks for all the great recommendations. Still not sure with all those choices but know we will have some wonderful meals.!!!

8. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 19:50
9. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 05:31