We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage at MA and CT

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Fall foliage at MA and CT

We are driving to Boston from D.C on Oct 8 and come back Oct 11 for weekend getaway.

Hoping to see some beautiful fall foliage on the way at CT and MA. We would like to get some suggestions on scenic routes and place to visit and stay (bed & breakfast type).

I am concerned that it might be a little early to see the full colors in CT and MA this weekend. Any suggestions?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

It IS a little early for your route. All I can suggest is to go futher north into Vermont or NH if you want to see some significant color.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

As long as you stay away from the coastline (trees are different there) you should see nice colors this weekend. We are pretty much in the middle of the color season just south of Boston right now. You could take the Mass Pike out towards Western Mass to see large sections of woods. I will guess that from CT to Mass, if you stay on Rt 95, you should see some color but by all means, use a map and take any side route through less developed towns and you will see even more color.

Where to stay- good luck with that!! This is a very popular activitiy, particularly on this long weekend so I would go through this site and others and find a dozen places NOW and try them all but be prepared to look for regular hotels and motels and settle for those. There are many hotels and motels along both the Mass Pike and along Rt 95- pick some towns, find some accomodations and start calling!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

Karrieb,

You're in the middle of the peak south of Boston? I just came back from the western suburbs yesterday and they have a long way to go. I was very surprised there wasn't more color.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

I'd vote for heading up into central or western Massachusetts if you can find a place to sleep. Since they are higher elevation than along the coast, they are colder and tend to get color earlier. The Berkshire Mountains are gorgeous, but will also be popular. Another idea would be to look at the center of Massachusetts which sometimes gets overlooked. For example, Amherst, Northampton (a very fun town to visit) and the beautiful area surrounding the Quabbin Reservoir. There are some beautiful small towns around the reservoir and the area is mostly very rural.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

the current live foliage map seems to indicate that some parts of Connecticut are peaking or even past peak(!):

www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

the map makes little sense to me.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

For fall color please get off dreary roads like I-95 and I-90. In Conn try US 7 north into the Berkshire area of Mass. For a long and scenic route try MA 9 from Pittsfield to MA 112 to MA 116; stay on 116 to Amherst (although a brief detour through Deerfield village will be rewarding), then MA 9 again east to the Brookfields. From there pick up I-90 the rest of the way into Boston. Alternatively, CT 169 in eastern Conn is very scenic and takes you (traveling south) toward Stonington-Mystic, Essex, Centerbrook, Lyme, Guilford areas along L. I. Sound, which are all very scenic.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

Thomas,

I agree with you about the map. It is showing Boston "at peak" and everything to the west as "moderate". I just looked out the window and I can attest that all the trees I see are totally green. Maybe this is from some other time or something? I just don;t get it either. It's plain wrong.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

The map is supposed to be based on actual reports, but I wonder if some of the reports aren't shills sent in from hotel owners, trying to encourage tourists to come to their area.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

Ha! Interesting suggestion, Thomas144! I also think that the entire fall is usually quite scenic and I have never been sure if I would agree on what "Peak" really means. Anyhow, it does seem to getting going quite slowly this year.

10. Re: Fall foliage at MA and CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 05:17