We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub Crawl advice

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Pub Crawl advice

I recently moved to Boston, and have friends from home visiting me in Nov. I need some advice on some great bars to bounce around to. We are girls in our late 20's who enjoy drinking beer & liquor. We are comfortable in dive bars with saw dust on the floor or a bar with a live band or DJ, so we are open to anything. I just don't know enough about the city yet. The areas I was looking for would be fenway, back bay, theater dist., anything aong the C Greenline.

Any help would be appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub Crawl advice

The area right around Fenway has several bars and clubs you could visit. Just take the green line to Kenmore stop and it's a short, 5 minute walk from there. Many places to drink, however many have a sports bar theme.

You can take the T past Kenmore, and come right into the city getting off at Gov't Center. From there it's a short walk to the Faneuil Hall area where you'll find a host of Irish style Pubs that are quite popular for crawling.

Taking the green line even further to North Station would have you right in the TD Garden arena area. Once again, a TON of drinking establishments a short walk from each other, and once again, many, but not all, have a sports bar theme to them.

You could easily spend an entire night in any of these areas, and have a good time crawling.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub Crawl advice

I guess my other question would be how many of these bars have covers?..... and any favorites

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub Crawl advice

Sorry can't specifically answer your question, but here's a link of interest...http://www.notfortourists.com/Overview.aspx/Boston/Nightlife

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub Crawl advice

I don't spend much time in them, honestly. But, Lansdowne Pub & Boston Beer Works near Fenway are good, and Green Dragon Tavern, Kinsale Pub, and Mr. Dooley's Boston Tavern are a few good choices in the Fanueil Hall area. There's another Boston Beer Works on Canal Street near the Garden, and Porters Bar & Grill is another good one in the arena area.

Lansdowne Pub usually has live bands, and the Irish Pubs around Fanueil Hall obviously would have live Irish music, which is a lot of fun. Some places like Boston Beer Works doesn't offer live music, and it's just more of a good place to drink beers with jukebox music. The places with live music charge between $5-10 cover, usually after 9pm.

Edited: 18 October 2010, 01:48
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub Crawl advice

Just to add on a little more here...

You girls could even hop off the T at Hynes station and it's a short walk to Boylston Street. You could hit Bukowski's Tavern, McGreevy's, Pour House, Lir, Vox Populi, and more.

Keep in mind that Boston is loaded with college kids, and many of the drinking places along the C line will have a heavy concentration of them.

Edited: 18 October 2010, 02:33
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub Crawl advice

I would say you two best bet areas would be Boylston St and Fanieul Hall area. I used to go on a few "crawls" back in the day and these are what we found worked the best...

Boylston, like Will007 said, start up around Bukowski's Tavern area. There is the Cactus Club, McGreevy's, Pour House, and Lir that are almost next door to each other. Than Wiskey's is about a block to two blocks down. Keep heading down Boylston towards the Common and there were be a few other places you can stop in. Then the Rattlesnake is a bar to hit before you make it to the Theater District area. There you can hit the Alley where there are a couple bars/clubs.

The second option would be up around Fanieul Hall area. Take the Green Line up to North Station/The Garden. From there hit the Harp, then any of the streets around there since there are plenty of options. I suggest McGann's but there is also places like Boston Beer Works, The Greatest Bar, etc. Then head a couple blocks towards Fanieul Hall and stop at Bell in Hand, Green Dragon, Paddy O's, The Tap, Hennessy's, and The Purple Shamrock. These are all on the same block. From there cross...stumble...across the street and you are in Fanieul Hall. Plenty of bars around there and a couple of streets over. Sissy K's, the Black Rose, and McFadden's are just a few. Then end at somewhere like Jose McIntyre's, The Place, or Howl at the Moon for example.

I think the Fanieul Hall option is the better one. Mostly because there are so many bars to choose from and you could do 2, 3, 5, 10, etc bars and there is not a lot of walking between them. Plus, since your friends are from out of town places like the Bell in Hand and the Green Dragon are some of the oldest bars in the country...so they can actually say they saw some "sites" :)

Boylston St the bars are close at first but then there is a decent walk to the next few. Overall just more limited.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub Crawl advice

Typically, a bar with live music will charge a cover.

8. Re: Pub Crawl advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 05:16