We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Day in Boston

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Day in Boston

I am in Boston over Thanksgiving with my wife. I take it the city will be very quiet on Thanksgiving day itself. Has anyone any ideas of things to do, places in the vicinity to visit?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Day in Boston

You're quite right. One thing you must do is make reservations for your meals, as many restaurants, including almost all small breakfast and lunch places, are closed and many of those that are open have special menues and require reservations. As an alterative, there will be several places in Chinatown that will be open.

You could choose to walk the Freedom Trail (although you won't be able to enter any of the buildings) or even arrange to go to Plimoth Plantation for a special dinner and spend the day there.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 13:36
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Day in Boston

If the weather is good it's a great day to just walk around the city and have some drinks (some bars/restaurant bars will be open, particularly in hotels).

Definitely make reservations if you want a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Day in Boston

Reservations are suggested for whatever you plan on eating, except maybe Chinatown.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Day in Boston

I think it will be a wonderful day to walk around and see the sights, except not go in (most of ) the buildings. Most things are closed, except as others mentioned, hotels, bars, movie theaters, and restaurants in Chinatown. But it will be great -- no crowds! You can see a lot of Boston without entering buildings. It would be nice to take a loop walk taking in two or three of the areas that interest you -- most things are quite close together in Boston. Cambridge, too (maybe visit Harvard Square -- and the restaurants in the Charles Hotel will probably be open).

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the day after Thanksgiving is a total madhouse at least at the stores. We call it "black Friday" because the stores hope to get in the "black ink" as opposed to the "red ink" and many people get up at hours like 4 a.m. to get early bird specials. This may not affect you, but just in case you decide to go shopping on the Friday, you do need to be warned. But it's worse in the morning, and less crazy later in the day.

5. Re: Thanksgiving Day in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 06:42