We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Early is too Early..

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
How Early is too Early..

Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, because I know that I want to go to Boston/New England in the near future. I have decided that I would like to go around Columbus Day 2011, and stay for 10-12 days. I think I would like to spend 3 days in Boston, 1 day trip to Salem, drive through NH for some leaf peeping, then up to Bar Harbor, and lastly drive down the coast(a day or 2 in Portsmouth) to go back home, being Louisiana. I was wondering how early I should start making reservations and what not. I have some basic ideas of what I want to do, but I mainly want to do everything being very conscious of my budget. I will be going with my mother who will help me split the cost of things. I would love to get a hotel under $150/night and I realize this will be easier to do at my destinations outside of Boston. I would really appreciate any advice for trip planning that anyone can offer. Everyone seems very helpful here. Thanks again!

Brandi

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Early is too Early..

May I ask a different question of you? What's the danger in making and cancelling reservations if your plans change? I think you could start any time as long as the places you reserve don't charge a cancellation fee.

And to answer your question -- I would think that 4-5 months out would give you plenty of good option if you waited to plan. And you can do it all 30 days out, you'll find places, but maybe not the best ones.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Early is too Early..

The hard part is figuring out what the airlines are going to do. This keeps changing.

You DO want reservations at least several months in advance, because of the fall season being so popular in New England. Maybe the thing to do is work on hotels and make some reservations (over the next 6 - 7 months) then think about when you feel like jumping in to get your airline tickets. Sometimes those are unrefundable.

Glad you are considering Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park. It's probably the most beautiful place on the East Coast!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Early is too Early..

October is a very busy tourist month in Boston and in the foliage areas. Columbys Day especially so, Also it is a popular convention time. Hotels fill up and rates can get very high. If you see anything in Boston near the $150 price, grab it. So, yes, book anything that can be canceled without a penalty whenever you want, keep an eye on rates and cancel/switch if you want. As your trip gets closer and if you luck out and find a good rae on Hotwire or Price Line, just cancel your other reservation

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How Early is too Early..

Brandi, look up by your screen name for a message.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Early is too Early..

Thanks for your advice, eveyone. You all will hear from me again in the future! I do aplogize for taking so long to get back to you all. I thought I checked the box to be notified when a reply is posted, but I guess I didn't. Thanks again!

Brandi

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Early is too Early..

Unless you are visiting someone I would not spend 2 days in Portsmouth, there is not that much there.

7. Re: How Early is too Early..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46