We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Can anyone give some recommendations for some great hole in the wall restaurants? These places aren't much to look at but the food is great!

The old forum post was closed back in 2009 and the topic page is good, but I'd like some more recent opinions. I like all food so anything is great!

Thanks!

reading, berkshire...
Level Contributor
275 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

We have just returned from Boston and we really enjoyed Cafe Jaffa at 48 Gloucester Street Boston. Cheap and cheerful and the food is tasty. Also Chinatwon has plenty of reasonable restaurants to eat in (too numerous to mention) but take a look and normally the best ones are filled with Chinese and Malaysian people enjoying the cuisine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Mike & Patty's on Church Street. Really good for breakfast or lunch. The place is so small they have all of 3 tables inside. It's really best for take out. In the lovely Bay Village neighborhood of Boston. Oh, and the food rocks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Whenever I see a post about hole in the wall restaurants in Boston, it reminds me of THE "Hole in the Wall" Restaurants. Anyone out there remember them? There were 3, I think, one of which was in an alley off of Washington St, (might have been Spring Lane) but it was literally a hole in the wall making the best NY style corned beef and other deli. Folks would line up around the block on a nice day. sorry for the hijack and now back to our regular programming.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

this is a fun site: "Boston's Hidden Restaurant Guide"

http://hiddenboston.com/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

I have heard great things about Scups in the Harbor. I have just not had a chance to try it yet. It's in East Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Scups does a great brunch.

Some others: Santiarpios (East Boston), Chacarero (Downtown Crossing), Peach Farm (Chinatown), Charlies Kitchen (Harvard Square), El Oriental de Cuba (Jamaica Plain), YoMa (Allston), Anchovies (South End), Casa Portugal (East Cambridge).

Just a note though: you will find more of these types of places in outer neighborhoods in Boston as opposed to the more tourist-centric Downtown, North End or Back Bay. Allston is a fantastic neighborhood for cheap, interesting restaruants, for example. If you're willing to put your T pass to use, you can eat very well for little money in this city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Oh, speaking of Allston and hole in the walls, Carlo's Cucina Italiana. Very good Italian food.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 01:36
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Ever eat in the back of a neighborhood market?

I love Vinny's Superette!

Also try Vinny's at Night!

http://www.vinnysonbroadway.com/

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Veronica is correct regarding the location for "hole in the wall" places. Except for Chinatown, you will need to leave the downtown Boston/Back Bay area to find 90% of them.

In Chinatown, my favorites right now are Peach Farm, Gourmet Dumpling House, New Shanghai, Best Little Restaurant, and Great Taste.

Allston/Brighton is a hotbed of great places: Ariana-excellent Afghani restaurant, Saray-excellent Turkish food, Garlic N' Lemons-Lebanese food, Grasshopper-vegetarian/asian food, Korean Garden or Buk Kyong II-Korean food, food court at the Super 88 market-a variety of little shops selling many different types of food.

East Boston has many different little places, mostly in the Latin American food category (Peruvian, Colombian, Mexican, etc.) I don't know those places as well, so someone else can chime in about that.

In South Boston, there's a little gem of a place called Cafe Polonia, with wonderful homemade Polish food. In Winthrop Center, there's a great Moroccan place called Kasbah.

My favorite Indian restaurant does happen to be in the Back Bay, near Kenmore Sq. India Quality House on Commonwealth Ave.

I haven't even touched the surface really, but that gives you an idea. Hiddenboston is a good resource, and so is boston.menupages.com.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants Part 2

Neslaw: Yes, I DO remember the old "Hole in the Wall" delis. Wasn't one of them on Arch Street for a while? Much missed.

I agree that Chacarero qualifies. This is a two-location lunch place in downtown Boston that offers up great "Chilean" sandwiches. Really delicious, and hard to describe.