We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
516 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

This Connecticut mom is very happy that my son and daughter in law will be leaving North Carolina and moving back to New England. Dil took a job at Harvard (very nice!) and son will be joining her soon once he gets the house on the market. I've always had very good advice from the various forums here and have planned many a trip. I'll be monitoring this board and looking for suggestions of fun things to do. So I guess my first question would be what, in your opinion, are the top 3 things to do/see in Boston?

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Tour of Historic Fenway Park...
45 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Guided Bike Tour of Boston
123 Reviews
from US$57.75*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Take a tour, or tours, of Boston. For a newcomer, a walking tour where you can ask questions about what it's like to live and work in the city would probably make the most sense. Then you can see what residential and shopping areas look like, what the parking situation is, how the culture developed, etc. Of course, also plan a tour of Cambridge that would include Harvard Square and Harvard Yard.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,172 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,452 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Congrats to son and DIL. It would be hard for me to pick just 3. Please take a minute to read our top questions links on the left which include our favorites and quirky things to do.

Seasonally, I would choose: winter-First Night celebration; spring-walk through Public Garden, Red Sox opening day, watch the Boston Marathon; summer-day trips or vacations to area beaches (Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket-south; Ogunquit or York, Maine-north), enjoy free cultural offerings in the city, including the 4th of July festivities and fall- Regatta, many festivals, and foliage throughout the state.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,219 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
York
York
Maine
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Wintertime would be ice skating around Frog Pond on Boston Common.

Summertime would be a quick ferry ride from Long Wharf to one of the Boston Harbor Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Frog Pond
Frog Pond
212 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,481 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,029 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

I'll play. (the answer could vary depending on when you ask me.) 1. Just walking around Boston -- it's a great walking town and there is a lot to see this way, 2. Red Sox game, 3. Being on the Boston Harbor, for example, taking one of the ferries to the Boston Harbor islands, or taking a cruise in the evening, or just commuting.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,029 Reviews
Boston, MA
Acton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

It's great that your son will be moving here.

I like the walking tour which starts right near the Park St subway station. You rent headphones and can do the tour at your own pace. Replay easily if you have missed something.

Go to the top of the Prudential Center and get a great view.

Mt Auburn Cemetary http://www.mountauburn.org/ is an absolutely gorgeous place. You can get a CD and walk or drive the tour. Make sure to go to the George Washington monument at the top. You feel like you can walk across the treetops to Boston. It is spectacular in the fall. Go again in the spring when gorgeous shrubs are in bloom.

Walk south along the waterfront from Christopher Columbus to Moakley building.

Museums often have free nights or get a library card and check out the available passes.

This is a good link http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7ljzxtJMDoYBA2RXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGFvAzAEZnIDc2x2OC0EaG9zdHB2aWQDWlF1RlFFb0c3djVySzJVNVRNd2dXUWd2WW02V1YwelN4dk1BQkl0ZARuX2dwcwMwBG5fdnBzAzAEb3JpZ2luA3NycARxdWVyeQNwYXNzZXMgIE11c2V1bSBib3N0b24gYXJlYQRzYW8DMQR2dGVzdGlkAw--?p=passes++Museum+boston+area&fr2=sb-top&fr=slv8-

Edited: 04 November 2010, 14:50
Mentioned in this post
Prudential Center
Prudential Center
1,428 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Just go walking around on the weekends. Especially if they don't get a residence in the center of town. Take the T to downtown and walk walk walk walk walk walk, North End, South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill. Walk walk walk walk walk walk, that's all they have to do. Then do the same around Cambridge: Harvard Square, Central Square, Inman Square. Walk walk walk walk walk walk. I'm not joking.

Mentioned in this post
North End
North End
6,269 Reviews
Boston, MA
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,093 Reviews
Boston, MA
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,172 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Central Square
Central Square
61 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
516 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

Thank you all for your responses so far--keep them coming, please :-). Love them all ! have saved them in a file for them--I can't wait to join them on some of the actitivies.

They will be living in the Chestnut Hill area of Boston--so any recommendations for the immediate area (restaurants, clubs, activities) would be especially appreciated. Oh, until their house sells in No carolina - they will be on a strict budget --so 'bargain' things would be great too!

Thanks again!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

I went to boston in April (4/6-9)....I got a Boston map, AND I printed out travel directions/maps (yahoo or mapquest) for the places I KNEW I wanted to see (and my hotel (Harborside Inn) had free computer use so i could always look up things (like how to get to the nearest post office (near government center) to mail books home that i didnt want to carry.)

You will be so close to Boston (relatively speaking).......How lucky for you to have SON and DIL so close....

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Harborside Inn
Harborside Inn
1,552 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

I guess it depends on what you like to do but I agree that a tour of some kind is the best way to start. The duck tours are fun (don't run all year I think) and the guides are fun and informative. The trolley tours are great in that they and hop on and off which lets you walk around different parts of Boston.

Boston is a very walkable city so definitely take advantage of that. You can do the Freedom trail, or one of the walking tours (Boston by Foot is one that I enjoy).

If you want to walk on your own. Take the T (subway) to Charles/MGH, then walk through Beacon Hill (Louisburg square and Acorn Street for sure) and enjoy the beautiful houses and history (very quaint). Then walk down Charles Street (maybe lunch or coffee here), to Public Garden which is pretty any time of year. You can then walk to Newbury Street (shopping) or head towards Faneuil Hall/Quincy market.

Harvard is a given!

Again, it depends on what you like to do but a game at Fenway is an experience. North End for dinner (Italian part of Boston). In Summer, take the boat out to Boston Harbor Islands. A whale watch tour.

Many museums as well. Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is right next to Museum of Fine Arts and well worth visiting.

I have many visitors so have gathered all my tips on my blog. Feel free to visit: http://www.lovebostonwithme.com

Enjoy - Boston is a great city!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston By Foot
Boston By Foot
285 Reviews
Boston, MA
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
1,991 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,093 Reviews
Boston, MA
Acorn Street
Acorn Street
162 Reviews
Boston, MA
Charles Street
Charles Street
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,219 Reviews
Boston, MA
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,161 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,861 Reviews
Boston, MA
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,242 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,269 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,029 Reviews
Boston, MA
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Isabella Stewart Gardner...
2,533 Reviews
Boston, MA
Museum of Fine Arts
Museum of Fine Arts
7,177 Reviews
Boston, MA
10. Re: Son and daughter-in-law relocating to Boston!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2011, 05:16