We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Hi,

My husband and I just booked a trip to Boston/NY in mid-January. I'm debating on if we should take the Bolt Bus or Acela Express from South Station to NY's Penn Station. I've heard good things about both forms of transit. But my main concern is that since we are traveling in January, will the Bolt Bus be more prone to delays from weather conditions? Just wondering if we're better off paying more and taking the Acela Express.

Thanks in advance!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Yes, the bus is likely to be more affected by a big snowstorm or ice storm, but the train is not immune either. Just recently there was some sort of storm and a tree fell across the tracks.

But, it's a crapshoot. The weather may be just fine.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Well, yes, if there's a snowstorm everything will be delayed, but likely the busses more than the trains. Whether it's worth the difference from $18 to around $100 each way is up to you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

There's also the Amtrak Northeast Regional train. It costs less than acela and only takes about 30 minutes longer than Acela.

I've taken both Bolt and Acela. When it comes to comfort, the Acela wins hands down. When it comes to price, Bolt wins. Which is best is up to hyou.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,452 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

That is the northeast corridor train route so it will have plenty of snow removal attention if and when it needs it. Take the train. You don't need to take the Acela. Go to Amtrak.com and download the Northeast Corridor schedules.

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

I love taking the train but recently tried Bolt Bus to New York - the price can't be beat. On the way there (mid week), the bus was only half full so I got two seats all to myself. On the way back it was packed (Sunday afternoon).

I was comfortable both ways, really enjoyed the free WiFi and electrical outlets. The bus stops once for a short 10 minute break.

I will definitey go Bolt again. Now, January might be another story with the weather but you can check that as you get closer. If price doesn't matter, take the train but I think the price diff is huge between the two and Bolt worked well for me.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

I hate the train: expensive, unreliable, always delayed, expensive, slow, unpredictable, and very very expensive. An indescribably horrible way to travel (and very expensive).

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

The train is the only way to go, you couldn't pay me to get on that bus.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Here's another option the "LimoLiner"

http://www.limoliner.com/

los angeles
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

wow thanks everyone for all the helpful information! i'll wait a while longer before i book our tickets to see how the weather is come january. looking forward to our upcoming trip! thanks again!!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bolt Bus or Acela Express?

Just be aware, that more than a few days out weather forecasts here are unreliable.