We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Hi

My wife and I are planning a trip for July / August flying into Torornto and then visiting Ottowa, Quebec and Montreal before heading across to Boston.

By the time we hit Boston area we will be in need of a beach location but in easy reach of Boston itself for day trips.

Looking for a nice beach and doesn't need that much night life.

Accommodation can be hotel or house / condo.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - chill time essential before returning to Toronto via Niagara Falls

Paul

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Are you planning to rent a car and drive or are you going to rely on public transportation? What is your tolerance for that commuting time to Boston? 1 hour? 2 hours?

Edited: 14 November 2010, 13:18
England
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Hi Alanm

Yes we will be renting a car and ideally we would like to be within 1 hr if possible. Certainly no more than 2 hours

Paul

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

It's hardly going to be "chill" time if you are spending several hours a day getting there and back. How long are you going to be in Boston? Is there some reason why it has to be day trips from Boston? If you have long enough and staying in Boston is not essential then I would suggest Cape Cod.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Check out Cape Ann: Rockport or Gloucseter might be a nice destination for you. http://www.seecapeann.com/ We stayed at Seven South Street Inn the this past year in Rockport. We had a private balcony, private bath and included her sweet 4 course breakfasts. The nice touch of this B&B was their pass for free admission to Crane's Beach in Ipswich and their use of their beach chairs. Crane's Beach is a really lovely beach in this area. http://www.sevensouthstreetinn.com/

I have stayed at Bass Rocks Ocean Inn, Gloucester in the past. I really love this simple motel. The nice ocean views and they also include a complimentary breakfast. We used their complimentary bikes, a nice touch. http://www.bassrocksoceaninn.com/

Other choices for you include Ogunquit, ME, York, ME Rye, NH (just to name a few) and there are plenty of places south of Boston, Hull, Marshfield, Plymouth, etc and many places, of course, at Cape Cod, too.

Enjoy!

Edited: 14 November 2010, 14:50
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Senior65,

I'm interpreting OPaul1's request for a place outside the city but that is close enough to the city that they can do day trips to Boston?? That's why I think Cape Ann would be a good choice. They can get to the city via the commuter rail. If OP's stays at Cape Cod, they can still do a day trip to Boston but would probably be limited to one day trip to the city since the distance and traffic will be an issue.

Remay

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Senior65 - We will be staying in the area for 5 - 7 days, mainly on the beach but we'd like a couple of days in Boston

Remay28 - Like the idea of a nice B&B, gives the chance to actually talk to other guests. Bass rock looks good but a bit expensive .

Many thanks for the replies, certainly gives me something to work on.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Our beach season is pretty short basically the end of May to early September so prices are higher due to the short season. Highest Season is during the months of July and August especially during the weekends.

Here is a list of some B&B hope this helps.....

bedandbreakfast.com/rockport-massachusetts.h…

bedandbreakfast.com/GCParticipatingInns.aspx…

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

If you're coming all the way from Quebec, you must be wanting to see Boston, and not just go to the beach, correct? So depending on your interests you will want a minimum of 2-3 days to see Boston, I would think. So then Cape Ann really is the only viable option in terms of a daily commute. Cape Cod is a bit far, and also there can be bad traffic on and off the Cape in mid-summer, especially at weekends.

But to make things easier for yourself, why not split your nights between Boston and your beach destination? Then you wouldn't have the commute to and from Boston, and it opens up your possibilities of beach destinations to include Cape Cod and the Maine coast as suggested by others.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

With 5-7 days, I would recommend spending a couple nights in Boston, then going to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, or maybe even somewhere in Maine for the remaining time. Going mid-week to the beach locations will help save a lot of money as well.

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches near enough to Boston for day trips

Thank you all that's great info.

Remay28 - great info

Lou1600 - It's a city / countryside holiday but with a necessary chill time. Without the chill there is a danger of getting back home feeling knackered and in need of another holiday and wondering if it was all worth the effort. Wherever we go there has to be beach time :-)

Rantipole - good suggestion, particularly about the timing

Time to do some decision making!!

Regards

Paul