We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Hey :)

Can anyone provide me any info in regards to the area that Boston College is located in please? From looking at a map, it appears to be within a district called Brookline? How far is the College from Boston city centre?

Additionally, can anyone provide me with a website that rents out apartments near to, or as close to the college please? Are there such things as apartment shares also, in any of the Boston districts? Again, any websites providing information in regards to the neighbourhoods (which ones are friendly, which ones aren't), etc.

Many thanks!

Emma

p.s - im 30, so i'm mature enough to take care of myself :D

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Boston College is in an area called Chestnut Hill, which straddles three different cities, Brookline, Newton and a part of Boston called Brighton. The area immediately surrounding the college is very residential and for the most part well-to-do. It is quite safe. Boston College is served by the Green Line trolley/subway. It is the last stop on the B line. It is just a few miles from the very heart of downtown Boston, but the Boston College line runs very slowly and makes many stops so it can take about 45 minutes to get right downtown. An area called Cleveland Circle is somewhat walkable from the campus, but BC operates shuttle buses there. There are restaurants and bars there and a stop for another branch of the Green Line, the C line, which is faster. The Boston neighborhoods of Allston and Brighton are close to the campus. Allston is very college-student oriented and full of ethnic restaurants and college bars, which you are probably not interested in at your age. As far as housing, I think the best thing for you to do is check with the BC housing office for listings. There is also craigslist.org which lists apartment rentals and postings for apartment shares.

Boston
Level Contributor
149 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Cabinet gave you very good information. BC housing should help you out. Your main goal should be to be close to your classes and within walking distance of a T. When it's below zero with the wind chill, you do not want to be walking more than a few blocksto the T!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Here's a link that might be helpful. Scroll to "Off-Campus Housing Listings" toward the bottom of the page:

bc.edu/offices/…listings.html

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Thanks for your advice folks, really appreciate it :)

Cabinet - I was literally laughing to myself when you said 'which you are probably not interested in at your age' - despite being 30, i am a very young 30!! Coming from a city like Liverpool means I am a very sociable gal- alot of my friends from uni are like 19!!! 30 is not over the hill and i can still party hard, hahahha

Boston
Level Contributor
149 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

In Cabinet's defense, I think he (or she) meant that you might prefer a bar without sticky tables and floors at the ripe old age of 30, which is what tend to be in that area...

You're coming to the right place if you like to socialize. Boston is lots of fun, and there are many different kinds of fun to be had, whether it's going to a sports bar for pints and a game, a pool hall, dance club, jazz club, or film festival, you'll find plenty to do in any Boston neighborhood. Good luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

Yes, Eastbonbons that is right. I'm no spring chicken and I still like to have a few cocktails, but not in a sticky, smelly bar with bathrooms that smell like a sewer filled with drunken college kids who can't hold their liquor who stumble out at closing and get into fights. I assume college bars are still like that or have they gotten really classy?

Edited: 02 December 2010, 18:50
7. Re: Liverpool Uni Student off to Boston College next Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:20