We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem & Rockport in winter ?

mexico city
Level Contributor
192 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Salem & Rockport in winter ?

Hi, first thanks to all for your advise on hotel, transportation and Patrots tickets, I got them already.

My question is about this 2 towns, some mexican friend suggested to rent a car for a day to go to Salem and to rockport, do you think it is worth it? we will be in Boston almost the whole week.

Thanks !!!

Rosa

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

Well, Boston should keep you busy for a week, but if you want a day trip, both Salem and Rockport are nice places to visit, even in winter. I visited both last Febraury. It can be annoying when everything is closed for the winter, but the Witches Museum was open and worth a visit. Rockport is a pretty town, and the rugged coastline looked good with the barren winter back drop :)

Abs

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

I think a lot of the indoor attractions in Salem are opened, including the witch museum, the Peabody-Essex Museum, the House of Seven Gables (closed Jan 1-14; opened otherwise),the restaurants, etc.

Rockport is different. One of the biggest tourist attractions, Bearskin Neck, won't have lots of shops opened. But as Abs described is still pretty.

If you don't want to rent a car, you can get to Salem by train and be close to the attractions. The train also goes to Rockport, but it's a little trickier because the shuttle bus that runs during the summer months doesn't run in Winter and the walks may be a bit lengthy to be comfortable in cold weather.

Happy Planning!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
611 Reviews
Rockport, MA
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

I agree with all the advice given above. I see from your other posts though that you are coming to Boston this month (December), so I want to add that you will find some of the stores in Bearskin Neck in Rockport open for holiday shopping; some will be open weekdays and more on the weekend. Here's a link to holiday activities in Rockport:

christmasinrockport.org/ChristmasRockport201…

If you decide to rent a car rather than take the train, I suggest you take Route 127 from Beverly through Manchester and Gloucester to Rockport. It's a beautiful ride--even in winter--along the coast. If you go to Salem first, you can take Route 1A over the Beverly-Salem bridge to Route 127; if you go directly from Boston, take Route 1 north to Route 128 north to Route 62 into Beverly. For an adventure and more beautiful ocean views, stop at Halibut Point in Rockport. You'll need warm clothes and good walking shoes.

www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/halb.htm

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma…

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
611 Reviews
Rockport, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

Rosa..a trip up to Rockport and Salem would definitely be worth it. You could easily do both in a day. I love both, but Rockport is my favorite. Many of the shops and galleries should be open..and even if that is limited..the views are worth it.

If you decide to skip Rockport and just do Salem...you should consider a drive through Marblehead..also very pretty..and quintessential New England...

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
mexico city
Level Contributor
192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

Thanks for your ideas, my plan is to leave Boston early in the morning (I hope the weather permits it), go to Salm, then to rockport and then back to Boston.

I'm loking forward to this vaction, it has been almost a year since we go on a family vacation just my 2 daughters 20 & 24, my husband and myself.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
6. Re: Salem & Rockport in winter ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 06:25