We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Whoops- made an error on previous post- trip ended on 9th December

6th December- no breakfast as on 8am bus to Wrentham. Got there just after nine. Parents made a pitstop for breakfast but we got stuck into the shops. And what shops there were!! This was my idea of heaven. The clothes here were so much cheaper than here in the UK. Being an avid gym goer and runner i stocked up on gym gear, underarmour and two pairs of trainers. Hubby also got trainers, underarmour and converse gutties. Bought jeans, belts, jumpers and hoodies. I bought, in my husband's words,yet another bag- does he not understand you can never have too many!! We had a break to unload into the locker and grab a slice of pizza and a cookie before more shopping and the bus back at 5. After leaving off the many bags at the hotel and freshening up we headed for dinner. I apologise for not being original but we were tired and our party was limited by a fussy eater so we headed to cheesecake factory. I had shrimp, mum soup, dad a burger and hubby a pizza. We shared a dessert. We were served by a guy who talked so fast we really had no clue what he was saying and he was the same at every table he served- very funny as he was like a computer programmed robot!

7th December- Another day of shopping and this time we stuck to Boylston Street, Newbury Avenue, Downtown Crossing. Shops in Boston are fab and having shopped til i dropped in New York i would say the shops in Boston are just as good- the staff are friendlier and more geunine in Boston (sorry New York!). Thanks for the replies re Uggs as i got mine in the Tannery and saved £70 on Uk price. Got a watch In Marc Jacobs and saved £60 there as well. We had dinner in a lovely steak and grill restaurant- can't for the life of me remember the name but it was yum. In their effort to sample different lagers than at home Matt and dad opted for Lumpy Dog!!Dad had steak as did Matt, i had chicken and mum pork. Meals were delicious and we shared a portion of doughnut balls between us. Making me hungry just thinking about it!!

8th December- Split up for the day and what a cold day it was!! First stop was a visit to the aquarium and loved it. Despite being the only people without kids we had a great time and loved the penquins especially! Myrtle the turtle was bigger than any turtle we had seen in Barbados and you almost felt like the sharks were looking at you. Matt and i then headed to TD Garden to get tickets for the basketball that night. We also headed to Mike's Pastry to grab some of the legendary cannoli's ( dad got a cupcake) and then back to the hotel via Cheers Bar!! Thank you to Mike's Pastry for a little bit of heaven yum yum yum!!By now we had our bearings and we were getting from the hotel to Fanueil hall in no time at all. After a quick pitstop in the hotel it was back to the Prudential Centre for some shopping in Sephora- love this shop and just wish we had one here at home! We had planned dinner in an Irish bar that evening but when we got there it wasn't doing dinner, next stop Hardrock Cafe, closed for a private function. We ended up in the Purple Shamrock for a tasty meal. Mum had fish, matt and dad steak and i had a reuben sandwich- delicious!! After a few drinks we headed to TD Garden . We had been to a game in New York so knew what to expect. The Celtics fans were a lot more boisterous ( in a good way) and we had a great time!! The security on the way in were a bit harsh though- we didn't know you couldn't bring a ruck sack in and my dad was carrying his- even though it was empty! There were people carrying shoulder bags which were massive!! I understand we have to be careful in these times but i thought it a bit harsh- we ended up going back downstairs folding it up and put it in my bag- shhhh don't tell anyone. A lesson learned for the next time!!

9th December - boohoo last day in Boston. After breakfast in Charlie's we headed to Abercrombie and Fitch for some last minute shopping. (have since food the full name and it is Charlie's sandwich Shoppe on Colombus Avenue). Got some amercian sweets for my brother and sister before heading back to the hotel. Packed and checked out hubby had a final Sam Adams at the bar. Got a cab from the hotel to the airport for only $22- bargain ( we paid $33 from the airport and wondered was i ripped off or did it cost more because it was a van??). View of the harbour from the airport was beautiful. Flight left on time and in just over 5 hours we were back in Dublin.

Had a wonderful time in this beautiful city. It was very cold with a sharp wind but we had prepared for this and wrapped up warm. When we visit again i would come in spring to see it during a different season. Thank you to Boston and its residents for such wonderful hospitality!!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Great trip report! Thanks. FYI, there is a $6.50 delta between the trips from and to the Airport for the tunnel toll and airport fee. In addition, there is a $5 van fee, which together make up the difference.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 14:24
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Thanks for the detailed report!!! Nice to be reminded about the Aquarium -- I haven't been there in a long time (although I recommend it to visitors). You got in a lot of things, glad it worked out quite well. Come again some day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Hey, Claire!

Great trip report - thanks for writing it!

I just knew you were going to make your way to Wrentham! :) Happy to hear you had a good time shopping, and you saved some money. Congrats to Matt for making it a whole day shopping. What a brave man, lol.

So happy to hear you and your family enjoyed Boston. It's so much smaller then New York, and much more laid back. You MUST come back when the weather is nicer. There will be more things going on, so you'll have lots more options for things to do, and plenty of places to visit for a daytrip. Consider early June or early September. The weather is usually quite glorious around then.

That said, you all kept pretty busy during your week here. I'm glad everything ended up working out, and you had a good holiday here. Come back soon! :)

Will

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,032 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

Glad you had a wonderful time in Boston and you went to Mike's Pastry which is a icon when you come back be sure to try the spring or summer when you can enjoy a little better weather thanks for posting a good TR.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

So nice to read all the details of your trip. You sure did a lot and must need a vacation after the vacation!

What bus service did you use to get down to Wrentham and would you recommend?

Edited: 17 December 2010, 09:25
6. Re: Trip to Boston 2nd December - 9th December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 05:21