We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

looking at hotels. Right now my inclination is to book Harborside Inn as I know the area somewhat and its SO convenient, but I was also looking for some place near a T stop that might have a kitchenette for around $120/night. I thought about priceline bidding but you cant really be selective about what you want - only (so far as I know) star rating and general area. I looked at Hot Wire but there's not enough selection.

Any ideas......my main reason for looking for kitchenette is that eating out all the time gets expensive and I thought if I could at least eat Breakfast Inn and keep snacks/drinks....I asked Harborside Inn about a small fridge, but that is not an option.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

The Boston TA folks steered me to LastMinuteTravel.com and it was great advice. Look at the information provided for each offered hotel and google search it and you can match the "hidden identity" of the hotel.

I used it for my Boston trip in 2 weeks and got the Radisson for $86.00 per night (which is on Expedia now for $180.00 yikes!). I also used it to book a room for my son's college graduation in May in Sonoma area on Memorial Day weekend and got a 2 queen room at the Sonoma Valley Hilton for $96.00 per night which is a great deal. I am now addicted to LMT !!!!

I have a lot of use for LMT as my youngest is on the college visit/tour circuit right now as she has acceptances in 6 states.......I am saving some $$$$$ thanks to Boston TA.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Hi, Karen.

How about seeing if the John Jefferies House has availability? I believe it would be in your price range, and it's across the street from the Charles/MGH T station. It's located close to the river, right on the edge of Beacon Hill.

I think they serve a continental breakfast to get you going, but most rooms have kitchenettes. If you're interested, your best bet would be to call them as they aren't usually all that prompt replying to email inquiries.

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

John Jeffries is a possibility but those studio rooms are miniscule. I might feel a bit claustrophobic.

the rates on "last minute" are good....but Im not very comfortable NOT knowing in advance where hotel is.

Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Karen,

If you need help, just ask. Provide me with your dates of travel to Boston and I'll go slueth out which hotels they are on lastminute. Then I'll get back to you.

On the whole kitchenette thing, just be aware that Boston doesn't have many offerings with kitchenettes. Looking at apartment rentals or staying at a b&b are other options to consider.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Will007.........

depending on whether I find work (not likely) I would be going in February (yes, I know...but the time is good for me):

EITHER:

Mon Feb 14-Fri Feb 18

or

Mon-Fri the following week

I have a free ticket on Jet blue (paying only for taxes - for JFK-BOS I think the EML seats are only $10.

My "back-up" is Harborside Inn at 185 State street...$119 plus tax...I really cant afford to go over $120 before taxes.....I may even cut the trip back to 3 nights.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

The 4 star listing for $103 for the dates of February 14-18 is The Ames Hotel. Great deal. The 3.5 star listing for $86 is the Radisson.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

$103 for the Ames? Holy cow, I feel like doing that and I live here!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

And I may have resolved the internet issue. The AMes business center is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE at $15/10 min...but there is a Library at 151 Cambridge....They have computers to use and visitors CAN use them (they actually responded to my emails very quickly. Its a little out of the way, but close enough to check once a day.

When I get ready to book, I just hope that the "4 star boston" at $103 is STILL the Ames...since you cant cancel...I'd be basically screwed if the hotel were in an area that I didnt want/not hear T stop etc. I know the internet should not be such a big deal, but I get so much email that I cant possibly go more than a day without checking/deleting email.

Thanks again for all your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Yeah, the library isn't all that convienent to The Ames, but if you don't mind walking a little more then half a mile to go there daily, then you'll be okay. It will give you a good excuse to spend some time checking out Beacon Hill since the library is close by.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible Feb 2011 trip to Boston

Half a mile is a nice little walk. I figure I could check email either at beg or end of day, depending on where I will be in city. It wont be the worse case scenario if I dont check it.