We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Boston from Montreal

Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Boston from Montreal

We are travelling from Australia and busy planning! Are there any trains from Montreal across to Boston that are scenic trips? If so how long would it take? We plan on spending 3 nights in Boston (general sightseeing) early Oct. We are then wanting to catch a train south to Washington DC & New York.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

As far as I know, there is no point to point service between Montreal and Boston. This is something that has been in the works for ages but is easier said than done.

Here's a weblink which will give you some info: http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/e_ethan.html

The train line is called the Ethan Allen Express. It travels to New York rather than Boston. If you're able to modify which cities you see in which order it might work for you. You can drive from Montreal to Boston in about 6 hours (give or take), but the train can take 8 or more hours.From Boston you get to New York and Washington much more easily.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

Are there any other ways of getting to Boston from Montreal eg bus? Or trains to Boston from another Canadian city without going via New York?

Not sure if we can hire a car oneway from Montreal to Boston due to crossing border etc?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

Although we were hoping to see some of the countryside - maybe we should consider flying and do a daytrip from Boston into the countryside?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
4. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2006, 17:13
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

You can get from Montreal to Boston via bus, but again you're talking a lot of time. Check into the car rental thing re: border crossing. I shouldn't think Customs would have an issue as long as you have your passports and are clear that you're tourists on the way to Boston. You're from Australia -how dangerous could you be??? LOL

One way rentals aren't usually an issue other than being a little more rate-wise. The drive through Vermont and New Hampshire is nice, and you'll be going through the area at around peak, give or take.

The two main customs crossings are at St. Albans, nearest to Lake Champlain or at Newport on the eastern side of the state.

I-89 will take you crosswise through the state and has some really amazing vistas. I-91 cuts straight down the eastern side of the state is perhaps a little shorter but less scenic.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

I've been researching this trip as we plan to take a 7 day Holland America Line cruise from Boston to Montreal and then return by a scenic route. The solution I've come up with is the Adirondack scenic rail journey which operates daily between Montreal and New York. It leaves early morning and takes 10 hours.

Go to: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

You'd have to reschedule and have your stay in New York before travelling on to Boston - again train seems a good option.

We plan to follow this route and then rent a car to tour New England for a week - beautiful in the fall.

Just my suggestion for a different way of making the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
New England
New England
United States
7. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2006, 17:13
Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

Archimedes6

What month are you taking the Adirondack train trip? Have checked out some of the sites - looks like a great trip. Will definately consider the train option of going Montreal to NY with a side trip up to Boston sometime during the 10 days we are in NY area.

I see there is also an option of catching the Adirondack as far as Albany-Rensalaer then change trains for Boston. Looks like connections plus delay risks rule that option out.

So the decision needs to be made - take a scenic train trip or fly.

I wonder if after 16 days in the Rockies and 14 days in Eastern Canada whether we will have seen some autumn leaves in Sept-early Oct? Hope so!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Albany
Albany
New York
UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

We've not decided yet between Spring and Autumn - depends on cruise dates and prices. I'll follow up the further research you've done on the Adirondack scenic train.

Sounds as though you have a long trip planned so New England on top might be just a bit much. You'll love Boston though - it's a great city with lots to do.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Boston from Montreal

Zwombats - The peak time for Autumn foliage in Northern New England is usually the last week in September and the first week in October.Those dayes can vary slightly from year to year. However, two weeks before and one week after those dates are also very good for viewing the foliage.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States