We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in Juned.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in Juned.

We will be in the Boston area from late on Sun 12 June until AM Sat 18. We have booked first two nights in the city and the next two nights in Rockport.

The idea is to spend the Monday in Boston, pick up a hire car Tuesday drive to Salem then onto Rockport for the night. This is where it becomes a bit hazy. Is there enough to see in the Rockport area to stay two nights or should we drive up to Kenebunkport for the second night.

Basically we want to be back in Boston for a full day on Friday and not sure how to fill the three days in between, any ideas are appreciated.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in Juned.

Rockport and all of Cape Ann are gorgeous. Salem is great and could certainly occupy you for more than a half-day. Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is close by and very much worth a visit. Then there's Newburyport, Marblehead, Essex, and other spots. You could easily go to Kennebunkport for the day from Rockport if you wanted to.

If I were you, I would stay in the Rockport place until I was ready to head back to Boston. No reason to give yourself the additional hassle of changing lodgings. Enjoy.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in Juned.

With two days in the Cape Ann area..I would spend a day doing Rockport and either Essex or Gloucester..then another day doing the Salem/Marblehead area. There is more than enough in these two areas to keep you occupied for two days.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in Juned.

Thanks for your responses I think I will have to do a bit more research re the area, how long will it take to drive from Rockport to Boston say either PM Thursday or AM Friday?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in Juned.

It depends on what you mean by "AM" and "PM".

At non-rush hour time I'd estimate an hour to an hour and 15 minutes depending on how far from the highway you are in Rockport and where exactly in Boston you are going. If you are going to the airport, and travel Rte 128S to Rte 1S, then it would be less time, The airport is on the northern edge of the city (and nothern side of Boston Harbor) so you won't be cutting thru the city to get there.

During the morning rush hour -- approx 6:30 - 9am --- (people commute from Cape Ann to jobs in Boston and along Rte 128/95) you should add time to that estimate, sometimes as much as 30-45 minutes.

During the afternoon rush hour --- approx 4 - 6:30pm --- you'll be going against the flow of most of the traffic and shouldn't hit too much until you get closer to Boston which might add 10-15 minutes to your drive.

BUT ... at any time, there are no guarantees, rain or a pot hole or minor fender bender, or construction can wreak havoc with Boston traffic.

Edited: 09 February 2011, 20:57
Melbourne
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in Juned.

Thanks Forgrtmyword, think we will travel back around late afternoon on the Thursday so we have the full day on Friday in Boston.

6. Re: Boston in Juned.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 07:19