We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire return?

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car hire return?

We are coming to Boston late September then going off and travelling around Maine and Vermont, we are flying back to the UK after spending a few days in New York. But I am not sure what to do about getting to New York, we had thought of coming back to Boston, handing back the car at the airport and taking the train, is this a good idea? If so we need ideas of budget/mid range hotels for one night for 3 adults. Also we have never been on an American train, and thought we would be able to see a bit more of the country, is there much to see on the journey, or would we be better to get a cheap flight. Any help welcome. Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire return?

If you are renting the car in Boston, then it makes sense to return it here as well. Otherwise, you'll have to pay drop-off charges for renting in one city and dropping the car in another. The train, is fine, but you really don't see much. It's about a 4 hour ride. Busses are the cheapest by far, about $18 pp, are fine as well and take about the same amount of time as the train. Hotels - read here for a couple of days back and you'll find plenty of strings related to that.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire return?

Thank you for your help. I will keep a look out for Hotel comments.

I have just been looking at Limo liner, has any one used this service?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire return?

Limo-liner is a business type bus like Accela is for the train,it gets good reviews a friend of mine took it and loved the ride.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire return?

I taken the Limo Liner when for a New York assignment. I loved it. Quiet with excellent service and it is city center to city center. I needed to meet someone near Central Park so it was perfect for me. I like being spoiled.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire return?

Thank you for the comments. It does look good on the web site. May be worth the extra money. Thanks

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire return?

If you have 3 adults, and you otherwise don't need to return to Boston, you're probably better off just paying the drop off charge in NYC. How much is the drop off charge?

7. Re: Car hire return?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 09:20