We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

We plan to be in town in September and I'm trying to decide on a hotel. At this point I trying to decide on Sheraton @ Prudential Center or Boston Harbor Hotel. Obviousloy they are very different but just can't decide. We would like to be in the midst of things so can you tell me anything about the location of the Boston Harbor and your thoughts about both.

Mentioned in this post
Prudential Center
Prudential Center
1,415 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
591 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
463 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

What things do you want to be in the midst of?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Both locations are lively and attractive, and you could walk between them in about 40 minutes (tops) or take maybe a 15-minute subway trip, so you're not exactly closing one world off for yourself by choosing the other. But in price and character, the hotels are worlds apart. While the Sheraton is a perfectly decent place, the Boston Harbor Hotel is very elegant and very expensive. It seems to me what you need to decide is whether you want to splurge or save several hundred bucks.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

My thoughts exactly, wpsaukee. The Sheraton is a good hotel, but it's a 3.5 star property, while the BHH is a 5 star. Completely different expectations and price points between the two hotels.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

the sheraton can easily put you in the midst of convention traffic. There is nothing appealing about this hotel. If you want to be close to Newbury Street and shopping, then this has an edge.

September is still summer like and being near the water is the place to be. I would go with the Boston Harbor Hotel. Everything is appealing about this hotel and surrounding area. Not to mention that it is a ten minute walk to the north end.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Good point about the Sheraton and convention crowd, not sure that I want to be in the midst of that. How about the Harbor Side Inn .. any thoughts? As you can tell I not exactly sure what I am after. Basically I guess, I am looking for a place close enough to walk to shops, restaurants, sights, etc and mid-priced. We are not B&B people though. Thanks ...

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Nothing appealing about the Sheraton except it can usually be booked for hundreds of dollars less per night versus comparable hotels. That, and it's in a very touristy area with MUCH more to offer then just shopping and Newbury Street.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 20:57
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

The Harborside Inn is great. It's just about across the street from the Boston Harbor Hotel, so there's really nothing to choose between them in terms of the neighborhood.

Although I personally think the Harborside Inn has a lot of charm, it's a no-frills hotel. A nice, attractive place to stay, but don't expect a lot of service beyond having your room made up. But it doesn't matter, because there's a lot to see, buy, eat, and drink within easy walking distance. Which is also true of the Sheraton and the great majority of other Boston hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Your title mentions Back Bay Hotel, which is nice but in an entirely different location from the Boston Harbor Hotel mentioned in your text. Which are you considering?

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Yes Will, the sheraton is no doubt cheaper. I did not see the original poster ask help on pricing, so I guess she/he had that all figured out.

The Sheraton in my opinion is in a class all my itself, and nothing compares to it.

To the op..you also need to look at the Red Sox schedule. See if they are in town when you are here. The Sheraton will also have its share of guests going to the game.

If price is not an issue....I would opt for the Boston Harbor Hotel. You can take the water shuttle to and from and are also across from Quincy Market.

The cab fare from logan to the sheraton can run up to $40.00 each way. The public transportation system can take from 45 minutes to an hour.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,844 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Back Bay Hotel vs. Sheraton @ Prudential Center

Other Back Hotels to look at are:

The Back Bay Hotel on Berkely and stuart.

The Lenox on Boylston and exeter

The Westin

Mentioned in this post
Lenox
Lenox
Berkshires, MA
Boylston
Boylston
Massachusetts