We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Seattle
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Hi Everyone,

First off, thank you so much for all of your suggestions on where to eat and what to do in Boston. You have a very beautiful city with so much history, that's it's impossible to see and enjoy everything in just a few days.

Hotel:

Boston Park Plaza

Room from hotwire.com

Great deal for $90+ plus tax. Location is excellent, but room is pretty small.

Four Season's

(for the rest of our stay due to work)

Beautiful room and excellent service. What you would expect from the Four Season's. Location is excellent.

We took the red-eye in and had lunch at Neptune Oyster. We had their well known lobster roll (hot). It was delicious and very generous in size. Hubby and I split the roll as well as a bowl of chowder. Chowder was good, lots of clams but not very thick. That was a good thing though because it left us room for the lobster roll. We also had a few oysters. Great first taste in Boston!

We walked all around the North End, visiting historic sites and even walked through the Farmers Market. Wow, what great deals!

We stopped off at Union Oyster House to share a half dozen oyster's and beer. Sat at the bar and was entertained by the guy's shucking the oysters. Oysters were large (not as delicious as Neptune) however, a great experience!

Walking back to North End, we decided to stand in the LONG line at Mike's. It moves fast! We decided to try the chocolate chip cannoli. It was my first time having a cannoli and it was ok. Just don't think I'm a fan of all that cheese! But seems like the popular place to go to if you do like it. They had other very delicious looking deserts!

We did have reservations that evening for L'Espalier later for dinner. Honestly, we were enjoying our leisure time so much we decided to cancel and pick out a place in the North End (since we were already there!). The thought of going back to the hotel and getting dressed up just didn't sound to appealing at the time.

Stopped by Pomodero for a glass of wine and their calamari appetizer. Very delicious. Quaint restaurant and service was very friendly.

Walking around a bit more, we opted for Taranta for dinner. The ambiance in this restaurant is very nice and service was excellent. Dishes were well prepared and very tasty. Wine was also very reasonable. Overall the experience (and price!) made us very happy that we chose Taranta.

The next day we started off for bruch at Aquitane. So delicious!! We did the prix fixe and for that price, what a bargain! Highly recommend.

For late lunch, we went to Atlantic Seafood. Shared the 2lb stuffed lobster with chowder. Big dissapointment here. Chowder was delicous though. The stuffing in the lobster took away from the lobster. The lobster itself was rubbery, making difficult to cut. For $50, not worth it.

For dinner, we went to Grotto. Beautiful setting. Dinner there was delicous yet again! HUGE portions, didn't have room for dessert. Service was excellent as well. I had the filet with rissoto and my husband had the short rib's with gnocci. Amazing!

Thanks again to all who helped planned our trip.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,249 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Very nice TR glad you had a wonderful time in Boston and do come again.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

thanks for the report! I wonder what a stuffed lobster is...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Great update. Haven't been to Grotto. Will put it on my list. Were you able to see any sites and if so did you have any favorites? How did you get around town? MBTA, taxi, or by foot?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Thanks for a great trip report. Sounds like you had a great time. On the chowder thing .... in the "olden days", chowder wasn't thick ... then it became trendy to thicken it up and now it's simply a matter of personal preference ... in fact I think Legal still has TWO clam chowders on the menu, one traditional one 'thick'.

Seattle
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

We walked, and walked. Seemed like it was for miles. We did take a taxi a few times but only when we weren't sure how long the walk was going to be. I loved just walking aimlessly around looking at all of the old buildings.

We did the Freedom Trail, walked in/out of all the churches, explored the North End, Newburry St, Beacon Hill, etc... We didn't have the time to visit any museums. We both left feeling that we NEED to come back, maybe in the fall.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 15:06
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

UGH, and I was the one who suggested you go to Atlantic Fish! Figures!!! Well, I don't know what to say except I've never had lobster there because the fresh fish is the way to go, but I do want to apologize for your bad meal. Come back in the Fall and I'll take you guys out to eat.

Seems like everywhere else you ate was either pretty good or really good, so hip hip hooray, lol.

Glad you guys enjoyed your visit to our wonderfully historic city, and should you come back when the weather is better, I'm sure you'll enjoy it even that much more.

Dinner is on me if you come back!

Seattle
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Will,

Don't be silly! You were so helpful with all of your suggestions. I'm sure we just got a cook that was having an off day! I appreciate all the help you've given to me!

Trust me, all of the other restaurants made up for just one not-so-good one!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

Stuffing a lobster is all wrong. Just go with steamed/boiled from now on, and Boston will be perfect for you. Thanks for the trip report.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

I agree about stuffing a lobster, never. I would say I make a mean thermidor though ;-)

Thanks for the TR Mandy, as it was really helpful as I am in the middle of planning my own 2 day break.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Few days in Boston - Trip Report

I'm glad you had a good time. The short ribs/gnocci dish at Grotto has been one of my favorite dishes in town for years, but it should come with a warning regarding it's heft and richness--I always find myself ordering some sort of digestif at a bar afterwards.