We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

We are visiting the US for 10 days in early June 2011.

We have booked a hotel in Boston Back Bay area for 4 days.

After that we have rented a car and would like to stay in 2 or 3 different locations (anywhere in New England) for the remainng 6 days. We would not really like to be more than a 3 or 4 hours outside Boston. We are a middle aged couple but probably quite young at heart. When we go away here in Europe we usually aim for places that have a good few bars and restauraunts and we stay in mid range hotels. Do we need to book in advance for early June ?

Ideally we would like to stay in a couple of larger touristy towns and finish of with couple of days in a seaside town by the beach.

We would also like to do some outlet shopping.

I was thinking of maybe somewhere in White Mountains (Conway ?), then Portland Maine and then Cape Cod (Hyannis ?).

I would be glad to hear recommendations from anyone.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

Two other possibilities you may want to consider: Newport, Rhode Island and Cape Ann, Massachusetts (Rockport, Gloucester and/or Salem).

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

You might consider the southwest corner of New Hampshire, very pretty area, and from there you can also visit Mass and Vermont.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

In terms of booking, yes, do book in advance, especially areas close to the water as June begins the season. In addition to the outlets in the White Mountains, there are also lots of outlets in Kittery, Maine which brings you closer to Portland. I think Falmouth on Cape Cod rather than Hyannis would be a good choice - good restaurants, Shining Sea Bike Trail, nice beaches and you could easily visit Martha's Vineyard for a daytrip from there.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

Take a look at Ogunquit, Maine. Beautiful beach town. 1.5 hours from Boston. Lots of good restaurants there. I recommend the Juniper Hill Inn. It is really more of a motor lodge, than an inn. It's beautifully kept and is in walking distance to everything, including the beach. Has an indoor and outdoor pool and a free continental breackfast (not the best in the world, but free and convenient).

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

For six days, I'd choose either north of Boston or south of Boston, but not both. In other words, I wouldn't recommend going to Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont, and then to Cape Cod. Way too much driving for just 6 days.

I'm probably biased, but I love the Maine and New Hampshire coast. Maybe a route something like this: Boston to North Conway then east (over Rte 302) to the coast of Maine and then work your way south toward Boston at the end. You'll have mountains/lakes, and outlets with no sales tax, in the White Mountains. Then the shoreline toward the end of your trip. And terrific restaurants the whole way. And it's a very manageable trip for 6 days.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

I agree with Happy, driving from up north to the south (Cape) might be too much driving around for just six days. From your description of yourselves, I think you will like Portland. LOTS of great little restaurants, shopping and bars in the Old Port and outlets nearby in Freeport and also in Kittery to the south (go there on your way up to or back from Portland). Portland is busy in the warm months so I would definitely book a hotel in advance and also make restaurant reservations, if there are particular restaurants you have in mind.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

BooKat, the only trouble with the Kittery scenario is the 7% sales tax on everything. That's why I sent them to North Conway. But then again, maybe the prices are so much less expensive than what the OP's are accustomed to at home that Kittery will still seem like a bargain.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

I never really think about the sales tax; after all, I've just spent money on two hours worth of gas to get there, what's a few more dollars at that point? Unless I'm buying a big ticket item, then of course I would go to NH, which as a MA resident I naturally would NEVER do!! LOL

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

Thanks everybody for your replies, we have more or less settled now on just Portland and Cape Cod. Would the general consenus be that we would enjoy Falmouth better than Hyannis ?. Also if anyone could recommend the locations in these towns that would be in walking distance to the main areas for bars, restaurants etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit within 150 miles radius of Boston

Falmouth is a nice town to spend a couple of nights, but in reality, it doesn't have many bars. It has plenty of restaurants with bars inside of them, but not true bars. There's one bar in Falmouth, right on Main Street, that I think you guys would enjoy, and that's Liam MaGuire's. Friendly people, good food, good pints, and good live music. I could easily see yourselves going back there more then once if you stayed in Falmouth.

That said, I still think you would enjoy Newport even more. I can sense by what you're looking for that Newport is right up your alley. Newport attracts mostly couples about the same age as yourselves, so you would fit in well. There's a lot more bars like Busker's, O'Brien's, Mudville Pub, Yesterdays, Celtica, all with an Irish flair. In fact, Buskers is considered an authentic Irish Pub. The owners had architects and carpenters from Ireland come over and do the work. There's also some upscale lounges if you want a more relaxed, quiet atmosphere in which to have your drinks.

As far as restaurants go, Newport has it all over Falmouth. Newport has so many good restaurants, from Salvation Cafe, Brick Alley, Tucker's, Pops Kitchen & Drinks, and the list goes on and on. Great town in which to walk around, much like Portland is. Public transit is very good, so you'll only need to take the car out if you plan to do some in depth exploration.

Just my two cents worth on Falmouth versus Newport.