We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about Boston

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Tell me about Boston

We are considering driving to Boston for a couple of days this summer. Our must-dos are a Red Sox game and to take my daughter to a visit to the American Girl store, other than that we are open to any ideas. We would need a hotel with parking and can accommodate a playpen for an infant, it don't have to be fancy, but clean and in a decent neighborhood is a must, also it could be on the outskirts of Boston as well. Thoughts, suggestions? This is just some preliminary research, but would love to hear what others do while in Boston. Oh, and we are only planning on staying for 3 nights.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about Boston

I am fairly certain that the American Girl doll store is located in Natick which is about a half hour outside of Boston, but it gets rave reviews from the daughters of a couple of friends. Two places you might want to check out with kids are The Boston Children's Museum and the New England Aquarium. The Children's Museum has lots of hands on activities for kids and even kids as young as your infant.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about Boston

Miscricket is right, the AG store is in Natick.

A possible hotel for you is Hyatt Place in Medford. It's got big rooms, free parking and is near Rte 93 (to get you started on your "journey" to the AG store) and it's near public transportation for riding into the city.

Of course, the disadvantage is you can't walk out your door and be "in the middle of it all" and you need to travel back to your hotel where as downtown, depending on what you are doing, you could just "drop in" to leave purchases, or take a brief nap or what have you.

You might also consider a visit to the Harbor Islands. Spectacle Island has walking paths, a beach and a small cafe.

In addition to the activities miscricket mentioned, consider the frog pond (a wading pool) on Boston Common and Froggy's Playground that has some water play in the form of gentle sprays.

Quincy Market is also great for kids ... there's a huge variety of restaurants and food (food court-style but with better variety and fewer chains). And, especially in summer, there's all kinds of side-walk performers around.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 11:29
Boston
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about Boston

Also read the kids "Make Way For Ducklings" and then go see the duck statues in the Public Garden. While there, go for a ride in the swan boats.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about Boston

As long as you'll have your car, it's pretty easy to drive from Boston to the American Girl store at the Natick Collection (mall). It's very near the Mass Turnpike exit (#13 for Framingham/Natick) in Framingham.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about Boston

If you want to go to Natick, and also have easy access to Boston, you might want to look at the Newton Marriott. It's right at the intersection of Rte 128 and the Massachusetts Turnpike, with very easy access to Natick. You can also get downtown easily by car, or take a very short drive and park at the nearby Woodland Green Line station to take the T into town.

marriott.com/hotels/…

In addition to what was mentioned, the Museum of Science is great for kids, with lots of fun, interactive exhibits. Also, the Harvard Museum of Natural History has great exhibits of dinosaur skeletons, etc. My Nephew used to drag me there all the time when he was younger.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me about Boston

It's more like, "what isn't there to do in the Summer". Everything is in full swing, so whatever your hearts desire, really. You'll probably be kicking yourselves for only spending a few days here, but that said, you'll just have to cram in as mush as you can with the time that you have.

I'm confident I can find you guys a good hotel deal, and hopefully some discount parking to go along with it. When you figure out the "when" part of it, let me know, and I'll go see what really good hotel deals I can dig up for you guys. Sometimes the rates are so good that it more then off sets the additional parking cost. Sure is much better staying IN the city then OUTside the city.

Edited: 18 March 2011, 00:55
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me about Boston

When you go to the American Girl store, make sure you stop in the cafe and have the chocolate fondue. It's a bit on the pricey side but adds to the fun of the experience. If the Red Sox are a must do, I'd recommend you have those tickets in hand before your visit. Have you purchased them yet?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me about Boston

You might also consider the Crowne Plaza in Natick opposite the mall with the American GIrl store. They were offering an "American Girl" package earlier this year; you could check if it is on offer for your dates.

9. Re: Tell me about Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 17:17