We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
124 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

We will be in Boston in June before heading up to a wedding. We get in on Thursday around noon, family wants to do Freedom Trail on Friday. We were thinking of staying in Back Bay, but now parents are thinking they want to stay somewhere closer to Freedom Trail and within walking distance to good restaurants.

Will Back Bay hotels meet these criteria? Or is there a better location to look at?

Also, I'd like to try Priceline/Hotwire, but am new to it. Any tips?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

The Back Bay hotels definitely work for the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail begins at Boston Common, and just about every Back Bay hotel is within an enjoyable,10- 20 minute walk or a 5-7 minute ride on the subway.

As long as you stay in the Back Bay, Boston Common/Theater District, Downtown/Financial District, Beacon Hill, Quincy Market/Harborfront, Kenmore Square/Fenway, or the North End, you'll be fine. The neighborhoods are small and compact, making it very easy to get around town.

Are you looking to get 2 rooms for 4 adults? If so, then you can definitely try your luck bidding on Priceline. If there's going to be more then 2 persons per room, then I advise against using Priceline. You would want to bid on hotels in areas 1,5 and 9. Those 3 areas are the best Boston locations on Priceline. And don't bid on hotels below 3 stars. Go for the 4 star hotels on there! ;)

I can help you out on Hotwire and Lastminutetravel. If you would like to know which hotels are offering on those 2 travel sites, then just give me the required info; Check In/Check Out dates, # of rooms needed, and how many people in your family. If there's kidfs then their ages will be needed on Lastminutetravel.

Hope to hear back from you, so I can start giving you some options to consider, even if you do decide to go with Priceline.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 19:58
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

Whille all the areas mentioned by Will are really accessible to the Freedom Trail, there are some hotels that are actually located right on the Freedom Trail: The Nine-Zero, Omni Parker House and the Millenium Bostonian.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

And how could I forget the Ames Hotel, which is in one of the most beautiful buildings?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
124 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

I ended up going on Hotwire and got the Sheraton Back Bay for $102/night. I think this will be fine for what we need. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

While that is a great price, it does not meet your original post. The hotel is a little over a mile to the Boston Public Garden. It does meet the restaurant part of your post, and there is plenty to do around the sheraton.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 15:20
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
124 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

I know it doesn't meet the first part of the post, but my family was getting anxious and just wanted something booked. We talked about it and they were ok with the location. Boston is small enough that we should be able to get by.

Also, the family could decide they want to do something else when we're there, so this will give us options. Not like we're out in Lexington.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

You will be happy with the Sheraton location and that is a great price.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

KEG, you did excellent! Congrats on the great rate, and enjoy your time in Boston!

Doing the Freedom Trail will be a piece of cake from this hotel. It's a really enjoyable walk from your hotel to the visitors center at Boston Common, but if somebody isn't up to walking the 20-25 minutes, just hop on the T at Prudential and get off at Park Street.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 20:25
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

great price on the hotel. now maybe you can splurge on something else.

10. Re: Best Hotels for Freedom Trail/close to good restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 04:15