We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

San Francisco
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Hi,

Wife and I will be traveling to Boston from April 14 to 29. We have total of 5 full days to explore the region. We like to spend 3 days in Boston and couple of excursions for the other 2 days. So far, we want to spend one full day in Salem to explore the city. Another day, we like to take a scenic drive using the Cape Cod 6A. Any city/town that you suggest we should stop by to sightsee? We already have a stop for Plymouth. Is hitting the road in late April a good idea? Thanks in advance.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

The ride from Boston to the start of Cape Cod is a little over an hour. Plymouth is about 3/4 of the way there, so there's not a whole lot of between stops. You could stop in Newport, but obviously that's not exactly on the way, although I usually suggest that over the Cape in the "off" seasons. And your question about whether hitting the road in April is a good idea, I'm not sure what the alternative might be. May would be a better idea. And June, July and August would be even better. Some folks even argue that September and October are even better than the summer. April? Better than March and way better than Winter. Just be aware that many of the shops and tourist places won;t be open yet, but you will have the place pretty much to yourselves.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 00:09
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

And the ride along 6A will still be lovely, regardless of what's open. There are any number of nice towns along the way you could stop in. Chatham and Brewster come to mind but even Sandwich, at the very beginning is pretty.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

3a is scenic on the way to the cape. If you use a close-up map you can see many shore roads like Jerusalem Rd in cohasset which is lovely but will slow down the trip to the cape. Do take 3A from Plymouth south instead of getting back on 3 for the last 10 miles to sagamore bridge.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

I also agree with the 3A and 6A suggestions, for both on the way to the Cape, and on the Cape.

6A East, from Sandwich to Orleans (about 32 miles) will give you a good representation of the Cape Cod experience. Lots of different things to do and see along the way. You can pick up 6A after you cross over the Sagamore Bridge.

Just one slight correction. Chatham is not on 6A. You'll meander through the towns of Sandwich, Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis, Brewster, ending up in the Orleans area. To visit Chatham from Orleans, you would need to head south (which is accomplished by taking 28 north - yep, it's crazy and confusing, but that's Mass Highway for you).

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Jerusalem Road in Coahsett is a great ride. Don't leave until you walk around Cohasett Village and stop at French Memory Bakery.

Jerusalem Road leaves the water, you want to stay along the water and this will eventually take you to the village. There is a beach to stop and park for a while.

3A also takes you thru some nice towns like Scituate, Marshfield and Duxbury. In Marshfield there is a great place to stop for lunch, Gerard's Turkey Farm.

Sandwhich Center is another place to walk around. Take a left of exit 2 after you go over the sagamore bridge.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Forgive the hijacking but LP is that the same Gerard's family that had a turkey farm in Framingham?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Cousin, neslaw.

And Will is right, Chatham is on Rte 28, not 6A. Duh. And I've only been there maybe 100 times in my life. ~going for more coffee~

Edited: 26 March 2011, 15:19
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Hi Neslaw:

Yes, it is. I saw that the one in framinham closed. The one in Marshfield has been there forever. It is near the airport on the right before you get to the numbered roads. It is strictly takeout with a few tables outside.

I usually get something there and head up to the rexam town beach.

To the op...that would be something nice to do if the weather is nice. Plenty of parking and free that time of year.

Newcastle U.K.
Level Contributor
36 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

Hi we are driving from Boston to Brewster on the Cape next week. We have never driven in the states before, and as this is our first visit to the USA from the UK we're not familiar with the road and transport systems. Will we be given maps when we collect our hire car and is there anything in particular we should be aware of when driving in the states? Also could you recommend the easiest way from Logan Airport - we don't mind if it takes a bit longer we're not in any hurry!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scenic drive from Boston to Cape Cod

There are usually maps when you pick up the car, both in a kiosk and most agencies have one behind the desk to draw directions on.

things to be aware of- stay on the correct side of the road and look both ways before crossing the street.

easiest way and fastest way will be the same. It would be too complicated to type the directions but they will be fairly clear if you follow the signs leaving the airport. Again, the car agency will give you excellent directions to head south to the Cape.