We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

Besides the oval -where else can we view the fireworks? Some said the harvard bridge?? what is physical address that I can use to put in my navigator? Is there parking there? Any family restaurants around the Harvard bridge area?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,414 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

Please, do not try to drive anywhere near the fireworks on July 4th. If you can't reach an outlying T station, you can pay to park in a Harvard Square Garage or the MGH garage and walk from there.

The Harvard Bridge, also known at the MIT bridge or the "Smoots" bridge is the Part of Massachuetts Avenue that crosses over the Charles River. Navigating to the intersection of Memorial Drive and Mass Ave cambridge will get you to the "Cambridge side" of the bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Bridge

Boston
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

The Harvard Bridge is the Mass. Ave. bridge. It's the part of Mass. Ave. that crosses the river between Cambridge and the Back Bay. I don't know where you're coming from, but on the 4th of July it would be most wise to take the T into town and not drive. Traffic and parking will be a pain.

There are lots of restaurants in the Back Bay. Not sure what you mean by "family."

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

We staying in one of the airport hotels on American Legion Hwy in Revere, Mass. I think on the reviews it may have said that there is a subway or T something or the other. We have kids so we are looking for a restaurant that are good but not snobbish with kids. Kids are well behaved but they're kids so they fll more into the pizza and fries kinda crowd. Can we get to the Harvard Bridge using the T? We're ok with subways as we did that when we went to DC. Just have to study it ahead of time. thanks for these info...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

The Harvard Bridge is a good place to see the fireworks. They close it off to traffic. However, you should aim to get there at least an hour before the fireworks, maybe earlier if the weather is really nice. I got to the bridge one year about 15-20 minutes before the fireworks had started, and the police had blocked it off because they decided that any more people on the bridge would be unsafe (for example if someone had to be evacuated by ambulance). Another possible, not-too-crowded place to watch the fireworks is the Cambridge side of the Charles River Basin, just across Memorial Drive from the MIT campus.

To get to the bridge from Revere, take the Blue Line to Government Center, then transfer to the Green Line westbound. Take a B, C, or D Green Line train to Hynes Convention Center on Massachusetts Ave. Walk to your right from the station. The bridge is just 4 blocks away.

If you are looking for a "family friendly" restaurant, you might take the Green Line one more stop to Kenmore station, where you will find a branch of Bertucci's a local chain that specializes in pizza and pasta. From Kenmore Square, just walk a couple of blocks up Beacon Street to the east, and the bridge will be on your left.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

If you want to aim for the Cambridge side of the river, you could take the Green Line westbound (any branch) one stop from Government Center, then take the Red Line toward Alewife two stops to Kendall Square. This is the MIT stop. Walk south toward the river from this station, then walk to your right along the river maybe a quarter mile for a good view. Adjacent to the Kendall Square station is a food court where pizza, among other things, can be had. It is not fine dining, but it might suit your needs.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

Your hotel probably has a shuttle to the airport and/or Airport T station or maybe even Wonderland T. where you could pick up the Blue Line, but it sounds like you might have a car? If so you could drive to Wonderland T station and park and not worry about shuttle schedules.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

You guys are beyond belief AWESOME! Thank you!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

We plan to visit Mass all over. Kids want to go see the Mayflower, Salem, Nantucket etc.. We also plan to visit the adjacent states i.e Rhode Island, Connecticut. Questions:

1. Any tips of where we should NOT go?

2. Freeways or roads that turn one way on certain time of the day (learned this the hard way in DC)

3. Besides the places normally listed in the travel guides, any other hidden-only- locals -know places we can go? Nothing fancy or anything.. just places that both kids and adults can appreciate.

4. Any tips for R.I. and Connecticut?

Thank you!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

that is going to be a long t ride. Those are long blocks from the hynes stop to the river, and you will have to it all twice.

I would stick to the original plan of driving. As we get closer, I can give you some directions to get around the traffic.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, you can always leave your car with a doorman at a hotel. The Eliott Hotel is on the corner of Mass and Com Ave.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new to Boston - where else to view 4th of july fireworks?

also, having the car with allow you to exolore the area. Don't forget to get to Kelley's on Revere Beach, take a drive around Nahant. If you have the time, try to get to Marblehead.

as far as other questions...how long are you here?