We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

We will spend 3 to 4 nights in Boston around the 20th of September. Thinking Back Bay or North End. Looking at the prices today they are VERY expensive! And that includes, on T/A, both highly rated Hotels and Hotels with not so good reviews. Should we wait to book until much later, maybe just before we leave?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

September is one of the busiest hotel months in Boston, so you might want to make a reservation now that you can cancel later if you find a better rate. More reasonable prices can usually be found on Hotwire or Priceline. There are pros and cons to using either, but you can get some decent savings. No matter what, don't wait until last minute or you could find yourself in an even worse situation.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 04:13
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

September, especially towards the end is a VERY popular time in Boston. Business is back in full swing after the summer lull and many "New England Foliage Trips", whether organized tours, or "self-made" start or end with a few days in Boston.

It's a bit early to find bargains on priceline or hotwire for Sept ... but if possible ... I'd try to book something cancellable at a price you can live with a few months out (like in May) and then keep looking to see if something better comes up.

Other than the pricey Fairmont Battery Wharf there are no hotels in the North End ... those in the TD Bank Garden area or the Quincy Market area or Financial District would be NEAR the North End.

Also, if you could include a Sunday night in your stay it might help keep costs down ... that's often the cheapest day of the week (leisure travellers go home on Sunday and business travellers arrive on Monday) --- Boston room rates will fluctuate from day to day)

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Thanks, Great ideas. Book a flex reservation and then just watch rates. I was actually thinking about the Fairmont Battery Wharf. Looks pretty good, has decent reviews, and is currently not bad price wise compared to everything else. North End, or Back Bay (or South End for that matter), does it really make a difference? All look very close to each other on a map, and reading reviews I see that people like them all (for various reasons).

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Boston is a pretty compact city with good public transportation & all the neighborhoods you mentioned are close together. It doesn't make much of a difference at all.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Yes, exactly where you stay is not super-critical as long as it is one of the downtown neighborhoods. It's easy to get around by subway and walking.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

I looked around for you using the dates you provided. Other then the Sheraton, listed for $101/night on Hotwire, everything else is pretty expensive.

FYI, I did notice the Fairmont Battery Wharf listed for $189/night on Lastminutetravel. Probably for one of their rooms with a queen bed. Still, a really good deal based on prices for comparable hotels.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Thanks Will 007,

I never used Hotwire before. How did you figure out that the $101/night is the Sheraton??? I never heard of Last Minute Travel. I can see on it that the $189/night has pictures that match the same pictures that are on Fairmont's Battery Wharf web-site. Are they reliable?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

FYI...I have found rates on some of the travel discount sites, and when i find the lowest rate, i call the hotel directly and they often match the rate or give it a little cheaper. Then you are dealing with tthe hotel directly and they are more likely to take care of you more. The hotel i talked to yesterday said that they honor those discount site rates but they dont have to give you exactly what they say you are booking. So they gave me a matched price and the bigger room so that i would book through hotel directly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Hi, Marty Feldman.

Yes, Lastminutetravel is a reputable discount travel company. There's been several people who used LMT to book their Boston hotels, and not one problem yet. So, yes, LMT is legit.

I know it's the Sheraton, because I've spent a good 3 years "decoding" most of the Boston hotels on Hotwire.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Hotels in Sept. -> Should We Wait to Book?

Will ??? Sept 20 depart Sept 24.

Is the Hotwire 3 1/2 star "Back Bay - Copley Square area Hotel " $103 per night ---> the Sheraton???

And if this is the Sheraton, and on LMT's there is the Fairmont Battery Wharf for $189, which would you choose???

Plans for the 3 full days would be to see the sights during the day (Back Bay, Freedom Trail & Cambridge/Harvard, R/Trip to P-Town on the fast ferry), at night go to a nice dinner every night (one night Red Sox game, already bought tickets), and probably retire by 10 to 11 PM at night. Leave for Logan early morning on the 24th.

I tried MJ525's idea. No dice. Got nice replies but neither comes close to Hotwire or LMT.

Marty