We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express widely accepted?

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
American Express widely accepted?

I am hoping this is a stupid question but in the UK Mastercard and Visa are accepted almost everywhere but American Express is only accepted in some stores and restaurants. Would I be correct in saying that my Amex will be widely accepted in Boston?

Looking forward to my third trip next week ;-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Express widely accepted?

We have the similar situation here where Mastercard and Visa are accepted almost everywhere with AMEX not always accepted.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Express widely accepted?

But they have a big push on now to expand usage and there's lots of ads. It's accepted in Target and grocery stores, etc ... so while you will find some places that don't take it a LOT do ....

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Express widely accepted?

Most large restaurants, shops, etc. accept American Express. Because of their high merchant fees, smaller places like b and bs, may not.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Express widely accepted?

Thanks very much for your advice. I will bring my Mastercard too. Prefer the Amex for collecting BA miles but believe that's why the fee for merchants is so high - to cover my miles!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Express widely accepted?

No, I think the Amex fee for merchants is high because the regular Amex card is paid off every month and therefore users aren't paying interest.

It's pretty widely accepted, especially in restaurants. But, yes, you should bring a backup card.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Express widely accepted?

Amex is widely accepted in the center of the city, but in the suburbs and on Cape Cod I have found more places that only take MC and Visa. In Provincetown, for example, we use MC more than AMEX for dining.

Last weekend we had the odd reaction from a restaurant when we presented our AMEX. The person reached for it and then said, "You wouldn't have a Mastercard or Visa would you?" I had the feeling they COULD take AMEX but didn't want to. I was tempted to say, 'No' to see what would happen. I had cash to pay the bill but we were having a lovely time and I didn't want to push it.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: American Express widely accepted?

It is a good idea to ask before you sit down. There are several places in the North End which only take cash.

I know a few posters from the uk, who advocate to let your credit card company know when you are travelling to the states.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: American Express widely accepted?

If a place has an amex sign in the window, and then suggest that they want another card, remind them that they could lose their amex privileges for doing so.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Express widely accepted?

Thanks LibertyPlaza - I will take your advice. Thanks again.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American Express widely accepted?

You are welcome