We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

cape coral florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Hi, gang: Is it possible to purchase a week MBTA pass at a public transit station or must I stop at the Back Bay location? If the latter, is it the Back Bay STATION or a Back Bay separate location? May a "normal" Charlie card be purchased at Logan after arrival, and if so, where exactly? Also, during our stay, we are planning on going from Back Bay into Salem. I see that we will take the green line into the North Station to pick up a Rockport train into Salem. However, is the North Station 'train' to Salem in the same terminal as the MBTA green line subway or do we have to go to another building to pick up the Salem Rockport train? Can ww use a Charlie Card or weekly MBTA pass on the train to Salem? As always, thanks to all experts and other responders.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

You might want to split this into paragraphs next time for easier reading.

.1. Yes, you can buy a weekly pass at a kiosk at any T station. You don't have to go to Back Bay station for this.

2. You don't purchase a Charlie Card--it's free. You can get one from a T employee and add value to it at any T station. Note: you cannot load a 7-day pass onto a Charlie Card. The 7-day pass can only be issued as a paper Charlie Ticket.

3. The train terminal at North Station is a separate building (or is it actually adjacent?) You have to go upstairs, out the door and around the corner. Just follow the signs.

4. No, you cannot use a weekly pass for the commuter rail--that pass is only good for the subway and local bus. The commuter rail is a separate fare.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Just to clarify, the Charlie Card itself is free, but then you add value to it at a kiosk in the station.

cape coral florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Veronica: Thank you. You are correct. My question was a bit disjointed. I never did well with English grammar. Your reply was most helpful and appreciated. Kind regards.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

I'm not sure about this, but if you get a weekly pass and take a commuter rail trip, you should check at the ticket counter or with the conductor: I think your T pass gives you a discount on the train ticket. The pass includes unlimited commuter rail travel in Zone 1A. Salem is well beyond that, but I think you get a credit for that part of the trip.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Not that I'm aware of.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Nevertheless, I believe so. It's worth asking the MBTA personnel. Rail travel within Zone 1A is definitely covered with the pass.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

I just called the T Customer Service. They verified that there is no discount for Pass Holders once they venture out of Zone 1. By the way, here's the number for your reference: 617-222-3200.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 23:53
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Technically speaking both Wpsaukie and Alan are right.

Salem is located in Zone 3 so the fare from North Station would be 5.25 each way. and there is no discount. But..technically..what you could do is ride out to zone 1a with your pass. Then, when the conductor comes back around at that stop, tell them you want to purchase in interzone ticket which...to Salem should be around $2.50. So, while there is no discount per se, there is also no need to pay twice for the same leg of a trip. There is a small surcharge for buying your ticket on the train..but you will still save money. The conductor will know how to handle it for sure.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Thanks Miscricket. That actually makes sense. A pain in the neck, but makes sense.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston-Salem and MBTA travel

Can you buy the interzone ticket at North Station? I think so but am not certain. Then you would avoid the surcharge. I'd buy the return ticket at the same time.