We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with restaurant choices

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,590 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Help with restaurant choices

Arriving Saturday, late afternoon and staying at the Radisson. Should we take a 5:15 pm reservation at Atlantic Fish or 7:00 at Legal Seafoods? Which would you choose for that authentic Boston seafood experience?

Sunday, I'm thinking steak. The nearby Grill 23 & Bar looks great and after a day of walking, is a painless stroll. Do you have a different suggestion for steakhouse near Radisson for Sunday night (not a big chain, we can go to, for example, Morton's in LA)?

Thanks for your help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with restaurant choices

Can't gauge the times (that's a personal choice), but both restaurants are fine choices. I might opt for Atlantic Fish only because there are many Legal Seafood spots around so you'll have a more than ample opportunity to have a meal in one of them. If you want a non-chain Steak restaurants, try the Oak Room at the Copley Plaza.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 20:27
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with restaurant choices

"That authentic Boston seafood experience" is pretty subjective: is it a lobster roll from Belle Island? Picking your fish from a tank in a Chinatown restaurant? Fish and chips at a bar? A raw platter at a gastropub? Bouillebase at a French place or Fruitti de Mare at an Italian one?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either Atlantic Seafood or Legal--they aren't bad, but I think there are better meals to be had, especially at that price point. I think Atlantic Fish has better food than Legal, but 5:15 is a bit early for dinner. I'd go for Door Number 3 and see if you can get a reservation at Island Creek Oyster Bar instead.

Grill 23 is impressive in typical steakhouse fashion: expensive, luxurious, good steaks (if a bit banal and overpriced for the rest of the choices). I'll second the rec for the Oak Room--it's old world charm might have seen better days but it's still a unique place--and add KO Prime for a more modern take on a steakhouse.

While not at all a steakhouse, Prezza in the North End is an excellent place for steaks (as well as seafood and pasta).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,590 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with restaurant choices

I thought the 5:15 time was too early, too. I know what you mean about subjective. What I'm looking for are raw clams/oysters, steamed lobster, whole belly clams, perfect chowder, and a spicy Bloody Mary! I've been looking at Island Creek Oyster Bar but they are booked Saturday night. Might have to swap my Sat/Sun plans.

I appreciate the Oak Room suggestion and will check it out. Sounds like a lovely setting.

Regarding the North End, that is our Monday night choice, reservations made at Grotto.

Thanks for your ideas.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with restaurant choices

Grotto is actually on Beacon Hill, not the North End. Great spot, though.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,590 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with restaurant choices

Thank you Veronica - I would have been searching the North End for that restaurant all night!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with restaurant choices

I was at Grill 23 a month ago, and did not spend an obscene amount. I like it here and think you have made a good choice.

I have not been to Smith and Wollensky, but a friend raves about it. I am told the bar with its fire place is very nice.

www.yelp.com/biz/smith-and-wollensky-boston

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with restaurant choices

Have you tried calling restaurants directly? Some don't put all their openings on "open table" ....

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with restaurant choices

I am one who really enjoys everything about Atlantic Fish. But, 5:15 is a wee bit on the early side.

How about Skipjacks? I've eaten there a couple of times, and liked it. It's a nice, easy 4 block stroll from your hotel.

It's worthy of consideration.

http://www.skipjacks.com/index.cfm/pid/10252

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with restaurant choices

"that authentic Boston seafood experience"..... very subjective, often very much more about atmosphere. For example, a great "steamed lobster" can be done by anyone with a large pot who can count to 12 (minutes); "whole belly clams" may be best enjoyed sitting on the sea wall across from Kelley's in Revere Beach. :-)

10. Re: Help with restaurant choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 22:18