We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

We are visiting April 22-25 (2 adults and a teen). Would like to sightsee by foot and may do the hop on/off trolley tour. I have reserved a room at each of the hotels mentioned ( suites as we like a separate space for our daughter). Price fairly similar (Omni Parker is about $60 per night less). Wandering if anyone has advice regarding whether one of these hotels is markedly better in terms of either location or quality of the hotel? They seemed the 2 best options in terms of offering a suite at a reasonable price but I am open to other recommendations!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

Wow! Tough choice. Both historical buildings ... both in great locations ... the Parker House (Omni) is a historicl hotel, where as the Custom House is a hotel in an historical buidling.

Since the Omni was originally built as a hotel way back when ... the rooms and bathrooms tend to be on the small side ... but I don't recall seeing reviews about the suites -- so that may be different.

Since you'll be here on Easter ... I'll ask this question ... do you plan to attend church? There is a wider variety (different denominations) of churches near the Omni Parker House, but reality is that the two hotels are probably about a 10-12 minute walk from each other so it wouldn't matter too much.

I have a soft spot for the Omni .... but I know the Custom House is good too, so I'm trying to stay objective here. ;)

Edited: 09 April 2011, 14:44
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

I agree that this is a tough choice, but I would go with The Omni Parker House. I never get tired of walking out onto School Street or looking at the sites in the immediate area.

The area around the Parker House is always clean. I never notice any litter or trash. I think the way they treat the outside of their hotel, is a good indication on how they treat the rest of it.

If King's Chapel is open for service, try to poke your head inside.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

Thanks for the advice- sounds like Omni is our best bet and it is also a bit cheaper so that's always good! We do want to see the waterfront- how far would it be to walk to the area near the water and Faneuil Hall from the Omni?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

The harbor is about a 15 minute walk from the Omni, Faneuil Hall is a little less. From the Custom House, 3 minutes to each.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

You really can't go wrong with either hotel, Chris. They are both in excellent locations for a weekend visit to Boston.

Seeing that the Parker House is less expensive, and their Suites are nice, I'm going to give my vote to the Parker House. But, the Custom House is awesome, and that much closer to the harbor and marketplace..and the North End, too!

If you do decide to stay at the Parker House, then be sure to sign up for their Select Guest Loyalty Program. Lots of complimentary perks if you do.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

Thanks everyone!

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

Thanks everyone!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

We just stayed in a suite at the Omni and it was wonderful. Our son was traveling with us so he had the "living room" which had it's own television and was plenty big. Very comfy. Our room had a king bed and the bathroom for the suite was off our bedroom. The bathroom was small as is typical in older hotels but the suite itself was truly as nice as any suite I've stayed in when visiting Boston.

I walked to Quincy Market in less than 15 minutes, it was a very easy walk. Several restaurants within walking distance and not even 5 minutes to the Commons. We used to always stay at the Fairmont Copley Plaza but the Omni is our new favorite!

Feel free to email me if you'd like any specifics on restaurants or any other info. Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: Easter weekend- Omni vs Custom House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:18