We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Well, after anticipating a long and painful drive from small town Ontario, Canada (3 hours from the Lewiston Bridge at NY), we arrived safe and sound!!

The drive was great, no problems, no weather to worry about and limited traffic (certainly not like our drive to Florida 2 wks ago)....

With having one way streets, it makes life easier I believe (speaking as a paramedic), to get around !!

The apt we have in in JP is amazing and we all love the architecture of the buildings, again nothing like the buildings where we are from nor that we saw on the drive to Florida...the colors are outstanding and so work!!

The MTBA is easy to get around on and economical...and I will tell you all the Bostonians I came in contact with yesterday (even with wearing my Canada jacket), were very helpful and very pleasant!

Now, my hubby was beside himself in his Bruins gear and I in my Canada jacket (because I am proud to be a Canadian, pure and simple, not a Montreal Canadiens fan..two different things) and my brother (Huge Habs fan) and sister in law headed off to TD Garden...a sea of Brown and Gold and so far so good...

I know that we are all passionate about lots of things, but you can be respectful of others that do not necessarily share your passion.

Any Canadian or CANADIEN fan at the game last night was way outnumbered and all I will say, is that beer and passion for hockey truly do not mix well but the comments said to myself and the other few of us in the stands, were uncalled for and very disrepectful but that in no way shape or form, ruined our night at the game ...nor will it ruin our weekend here. I do know that REMAY, you will see us only when Wally arrives at the seat for my hubbys bday tomorrow as we will not be wearing our Canada gear nor our Jays gear. Just not worth the rude and uncalled for comments. I am sure it happens across the border as well ..was just a little taken aback...

So the sun is up and we are off to walk around Jamaica Pond and then off to the Samual Adams Brewery for a tour and 10 Tables to celebrate birthdays tonight...

Will be in touch....

Lizzie

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Lizzie,

That's terrible! Some Bruins fans do have a strong dislike for the Montreal Canadiens and with the Bruins losing, I'm sure it did not help. So sorry! I would tell you that at Fenway it should be different because Sox fans have a strong dislike for Yankee fans so you should not get taunted. (Celtics fans dislike the Lakers and Pats fans dislike everything Jets and Colts) But due to the Bruins playing on Saturday, you are probably best bet not wearing anything Canada. I HATE that some fans ruin it for others. I can personally say that I welcome you both to Fenway and I hope you have a great trip. Unfortunately the weather does not look so great for Saturday and Sunday :(

Remay

Edited: 15 April 2011, 14:34
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Welcome to Boston and JP!

Sorry about the unruly fans, all it takes are a couple to ruin things. You're probably right about the beer factor.

They just stocked Jamaica Pond with fish yesterday so you may see some fishermen. Enjoy Ten Tables. It should be a fun dinner.

Looks like the weather will be O.K. for the game tomorrow. We'll want a full report of the Wally "surprise."

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

That's a drag. Good-natured trash talk is one thing, but some people seem way more into the rivalries and the beer (and it's always the ones who can't hold their booze) than the actual game; it sucks that you had to encounter them. I'd love to tell you that wearing Canada gear won't draw any comments in Fenway (as Remay said, the Bluejays are not a rival and Coach Farrell will receive a very warm welcome from the crowd), but you just never know.

Enjoy your meal tonight! If you're a chocolate person, the chocolate terrine with sea salt at Ten Tables is really great.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Sorry about your encounter with some of our knuckleheads. Fenway should be much more pleasant and civil. Baseball and hockey seem to be played on different planets. Playoff hockey certainly is. Add it that it's the Habs and that the Bruins lost. The nasty drunks are just that---angry, nasty drunks in Bruins gear. The Garden is probably the only place in town this weekend where you could get hassled for being Canadian. Nobody doesn't like Canadians. If you wear Jays gear to Fenway, you'll maybe get a little good-natured ribbing at worst, more likely it'll spark pleasant interactions. For most Bostonians, anybody connected to John Farrell in any way is okay with us. Yankees gear gets a different reaction, more like what you experienced at the Garden.

If you get a chance to get downtown, there's a pleasant marathon buzz this weekend, particularly around Copley Square, site of the finish line. Spring is making it's way here. A lot of things should be opening this weekend. We're probably a bit further along than you, so it should be extra pleasant for you.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

I second everyone's remarks about bad behavior. It's never excusable. I think it's worth pointing out, though, that the conditions for bad blood between Canadiens fans and Bruins fans could hardly be any better, or worse, or, well, you know what I mean. Various events this season have contributed to a serious level of antagonism (and by all accounts it has been at least as bad in Montreal), and the fact that Montreal won what was a very frustrating game from Boston's point of view made it even worse.

Again, I don't in any way whatsoever condone the type of behavior you encountered. But as noted, the atmosphere at Fenway should be very different (with allowances for whatever ignorant Bruins fans might be at the ballpark).

Glad you like JP. I lived there for a couple of years, and it really is a lovely neighborhood.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Hey everyone..thanks for your great comments and yes, it is playoff hockey. And yes, to be honest, Montreal is no better and they have proved it over the years. I guess I was just surprised. And it will not ruin our weeknd..so no worries!

Everyone and I mean everyone that we have encountered, has been AMAZING!! We LOVE JP...and if this is what we will expect when we actually hit the city of Boston, then we have hit the jackpot....

Today was FABULOUS..we took a walk to the monument in JP and then took Elliot Street along the way to Jamaica Pond. We stopped to take a few pictures of the amazing homes, and a gentleman that lived on that street, came over to talk to his, on his own initiative, and the amazing history he told us was very invaluable and not something that we would have ever figured out on our own. Thank you!!

We walked along the path of the pond and just simply enjoyed the view...I am curious though which house across the pond or was it on the closer side to Elliott Street, that belonged to John Hancock? And to know that the pond was a reservoir and that is where the Native Americans lived and survived...We were thoroughly thoroughly impressed with his little history lesson.

After our walk at the pond, we walked to the Samual Adams brewery and okay, I am going to convince the Ontario LCBO and the Beer Stores to start stocking more than just Boston Lager....my goodness, Brian was an awesome tour guide, the sight is phenomenal and the beer..to die for!!!

It is an awesome way to give a tour....donations only..free beer tasting, free little sample glass. The trolley that is provided outdoors to take you to Doyle's is a MUST!!! Jay the trolley driver, was out of this world!! The tunes rocking, the party bus!!! It is a sweet deal between the two sights..the food at Doyles is to die for!!!

Tonight is dinner at Ten Tables and thanks for the recommendation of the chocolate terrine, my sister in law is a huge chocolate fan and she will be all over that one..

Will be in touch folks!! This is one place that that we are going to tell our friends to put on their bucket lists...

Lizzie

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

I'm glad you enjoyed your day. Just a note: you're already in the city of Boston (JP is a neighborhood within the city).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Echoing what others have said. Sorry for the nastiness at the game.

Looking forward to hearing more of your Boston adventure!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

You really have put together a great Boston visit. You're getting a mix of the usual tourist attractions plus some of the more out of the way ones. The area of JP where you're staying is a lovely one. Eliot Street is quite beautiful. Burroughs Street is another nice route from Centre Street over to the pond.

There's no Hancock house still standing in JP. I think the original house was closer to the monument than to the pond. There is a bit of confusion that Pinebank, which was a mansion sitting above the pond that was demolished just a few years ago, was Hancock's. This may have been rooted in the strange situation that the stairway leading from the pond up to Pinebank was from Hancock's Beacon Hill home. When the Beacon Hill home was demolished, the owners of Pinebank actually purchased the stairway (which has an engraving mentioning Hancock) and had it moved to JP. People seeing the engraving may have thought it indicated that Pinebank was Hancock's. Many prominent Bostonians had second homes near the Pond in addition to their main residences further in town. The pond really is a wonderful place in a whole lot of different ways.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrived in Jamaica Plain

Here's a brief article about Hancock's brief sojourn in JP: jphs.org/people/2005/3/14/john-hancocks-jama…

His house was near the monument as Bellman said.

Glad you had fun today. Doyle's is an institution--I have an out-of-town friend who likes going there every time he visits.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 00:00