We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe neighborhood in Boston

KXY
Jurong, Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Safe neighborhood in Boston

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to travel down to Boston with another female companion. So we were wondering what neighborhoods would be safe and good for us tourists to stay in.

Also, anyone knows if Dudley square and the neighborhood around brigham circle are considered as good and safe areas to live in?

Thanks so much! :))))

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

Any neighborhood that tourists are likely to frequent can be considered safe. Just use your normal street smarts when you're in a strange city.

The area around Brigham Circle is a safe place to live. It is near a group of major hospitals and medical institutions so it can be quite congested during the day on main streets. The area around Dudley may be considered a little less safe but it is not a bad area. Whether you would want to live there would depend upon your own feelings about the neighborhood. I have no worries about being around Dudley Sq. Both Brigham Circle and Dudley Sq. have excellent public transit connections.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

As mentioned, the tourist areas are all safe and you should just take your normal precautions as you should in any large city.

The Brigham Circle area is not quite as carefree safe as Back Bay or downtown or other major tourist areas. However, if you found a nice place to live in that area, I think you would be fine. Just be careful and don't do stupid things like leave the keys in your unlocked car, etc.

Dudley Sq. on the other hand, while it might not be the worst urban area in the US, I wouldn't recommend as a first choice for a safe neighborhood. Why Dudley of all places? I think you need to look elsewhere. If you were to give us some more information, like are you getting a job here? Where is the job? Are you coming to school here? How much rent did you want to spend? We can recommend better areas for you than Dudley.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

You say "us tourists". Neither of those neighborhoods is the most convenient for tourism, although of the two, Brigham Circle is a bit closer to many sights. What led you to those particular (odd for tourists) choices?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

Your post is a little unclear, but I believe that you'll be visiting rather than relocating to Boston. There really aren't any accommodations for tourists in either Dudley or Brigham Circle. Dudley is the commercial center of a residential area and Brigham Center is the hub of an area with hospitals, schools and residences. Neither has any of the usual tourist attractions. And I also am curious how you happened to be thinking of these two areas of the city. Most of the usual tourist destinations are downtown and there is a variety of places to stay that are conveniently located near them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

I, too, am puzzled by your choice of locations, unless you are looking at renting a room in someone's apartment or have found something on craigslist.

Without having any more information from you, I would say that the Brigham Circle area would be more convenient than Dudley Square for you get back and forth to tourist sites. You have the option of a bus to Copley Square or the Green Line trolley. There is also a grocery store, Stop and Shop, at Brigham Circle if you are planning on eating in.

Give us more information and we can give you better advice.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

I think if you asked people who are in Brigham Circle everyday, they would tell you that they are as carefree about there safety as they are in the Back Bay. I have not had reason to be in the Brigham Circle area, on a regular basis in ten years. For the several months I spent there, I never had an issue or thought that an issue was about to happen. I still get back 10 times a year or so, and still no issues.

I have not been to Dudley Square in years, so I cannot help you there.

7. Re: Safe neighborhood in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 13:15