We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This weekend

orlando
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
This weekend

Help we are going to staying in Natwick but my two boys want to see history this weekend-Thursday to Sunday ...any suggestions on things to do in what order. We have a car. But love to take public transportation too.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This weekend

I assume you mean "Natick". There are commuter rail stops in Natick on the Framingham/Worcester line, so you could use that do go into town.

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

Or, you might want tot drive over to the Riverside T station in Newton, park there and take the Green Line in. On Saturday and Sunday you might consider driving right into downtown as traffic won't be so bad and parking is cheaper.

Another nearby place to "see history" is Lexington/Concord, which you can visit by car.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This weekend

I assume you are staying in Natick?

You have plenty of options for history. How old are your boys?

Walking the Freedom Trail is a must for any history buff.

Since you are staying in Natick I would also suggest a stop at Minuteman National Park and visit Lexington and Concord.

http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

Oops - Didn't see Cabinet's post!

Edited: 26 April 2011, 13:37
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This weekend

Since you have a car you could take a trip to Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, MA. It is probably a bit over an hour or so from Natick. You can get a combo ticket to visit the Mayflower replica on the waterfront in Plymouth and also the Plantation, which is a short drive away. We visited the Mayflower two weekends ago and my son (age 8) loved it.

orlando
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This weekend

Yes it is Natick sorry. Is Salem far away? We have a national parks pass and we are thinking about using it on Thursday now for Lexington and concord then my boys are thinking of getting a Boston pass for the next three days. I will be teaching on Friday and Saturday so I will then meet up with them in the evenings. Sunday we have until 6 to explore the city since our flight is late at night.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This weekend

Salem isn't that far, maybe about an hour's drive from Natick.

Lexington and Concord and the Minuteman National Park are very close to Natick, and would be a good choice to visit.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This weekend

Yes, you can drive to Salem from Natick. The drive's approximately one hour . Boston offers many National Historic sites including The USS Constitution, The Bunker Monument, Boston Harbor Islands etc. Other National Historic Parks within driving distance from Natick besides Minuteman, Salem and Boston include Saugus Iron Works, Lowell National Historic Parks and Adams National Historic Park.

Enjoy!

orlando
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This weekend

What national parks/sites are your favorite? Is it worth the drive to Salem? Our flight lands at 10:30 so we are thinking about just heading to lexington and concord and minute men...my son was wondering if the do re-enactments there? It looks from the website like no though. From there we were thinking about heading to Salem or plymonth around 2. Not sure which direction to go or are they in the same direction? Is there a better order to see them?

Is the parking lot at riversideT station free? and something my gps will find or is it street/mall parking?

Thank you all for the great info

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This weekend

Minuteman Park hosts a series of renactments on Patriot's Day (last Monday), but I checked the calendar for you and there does not appear to be any events this weekend. They have guided tours, but only in the summer. But, I have walked around the park in the off season and you can still look at the various sites and old houses along the route, and there will be many other people walking there if it is a nice day. If you leave for Plymouth or Salem around 2 pm, be sure to check first what times the attractions in those places close, since they might close earlier in the spring. The lot at Riverside is a big parking lot in front of the trolley tracks. It is off the street and there is no mall. I think the fee is $5 or 6 to park.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This weekend

From Concord, it will take you about 45 minutes to drive to Salem. BooKat is right that you will need to pay attention to closing times. The Salem Maritime National Historic Site closes at 5, as does the NPS Visitors Center; ranger-guided tours are offered, but the last one is at 2:30 at this time of year. The Peabody Essex Museum and House of Seven Gables both close at 5. Arriving mid-afternoon really doesn't give you much time. Of course, after 5 you'll still have a couple of hours of daylight so you could have dinner and walk around. A walk down Chestnut Street will give you a good look at Salem's wonderful architecture. The NPS has some brochures with self-guided walking tours, which you may find helpful.

www.nps.gov/sama/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This weekend

I posted this in another thread, but I was just reading your comments about your son being interested in re-enactments. It just so happens that there is a festival in Waltham Ma. this coming Saturday at Gore Place in Waltham Ma. From Natick, Waltham is on your way to Salem and not far from Concord or Lexington. At the festival, there will be a couple of groups of historic re-enactors who will be re-enacting a military encampment. Might be worth it for you to stop by if this is something your son is interested in. Here is the link to more information. It is going from 10-5 on Saturday. You could stop here on your way to Salem.

http://www.goreplace.org/sheepshearing.htm