We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Question AGAIN!

chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Question AGAIN!

Sorry but i have looked through numerous sites and course TA Forum and still a bit confused about what will work best for my wife and I coming to Boston on 9/1 and staying for five nights. Let me first say that we are coming to attend the Northwestern U football game vs. Boston College. While that will take up just about all of Saturday we would like to see all or most of the many historic sights in the city and of course shop, obviously her intention and partake in the restaurant scene. I had hoped to keep the daily rate under $200 and as of now are deceiding between four properties. The DoubleTree Inn-Downtown, $151 w/ adv resv.: The Radisson- Boston, $175 if stay is at least four nights; Reinaissance Waterfront, $161 w/ Sr. discount; and Hotel 140, $177. While the Reinaissance looks like a newer hotel and is on the water the other three seem to have better locations, near things we want to see and do. Any and all opinions and suggestions will be appreciated. Also lokked into the Jeffries House, Buckmeister and the John Hancock but Forum responses have kind of cooled me on those three. Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

Hi, of all your options, I would go with the Radisson, good location, good price, good reviews. The Doubletree is ok too, but the Radisson is a better location. The Renaissance is not centrally located, the Hotel 140 has really mixed reviews.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

Okay, well I hope to give you some good news here.

There are a TON of good deals for your travel dates on both Hotwire, and LMT (Lastminutetravel).

I'll start with Hotwire.

The 3.5 star Sheraton is available for $100/night, or $108/night if you choose the guaranteed bed choice and select a king bed.

Sheraton is a big hotel, but good hotel, with good reviews. It's located in the Back Bay neighborhood which is a shoppers paradise. The Back Bay is a very popular base for tourists, and there's PLENTY of places to eat and drink throughout this neighborhood.

The Sheraton has an indoor walkway connection into the Prudential Center Mall, and is just minutes to Newbury Street. Catch the subway out to the game at Hynes station, just a 7 or so minute walk from the hotel.

Select this hotel if you want a decent place to stay while saving a fortune.

There's also some very appealing architecture in this neighborhood, from the Boston Public Library, the Mary Baker Eddy Library and Mother Church of Christian Scientists, Trinity and Old South Churches, and the list goes on and on. There are also plenty of those historic Brownstone residences that makes Boston, well, Boston. And let's not forget the beautiful Boston Public Garden is also located right in the Back Bay.

It's a safe, vibrant area with a very nice mix of commercial and residential, and numerous T stations to take you anywhere in the city you don't wish to walk to.

Okay, back to hotels.

The 4 star Westin Copley Place hotel is also available on Hotwire for $138/ night, or $151/night if you choose the bed choice for a guaranteed king sized bed.

This is the hotel I think you should book because it's a good rate, good hotel, all the rooms have just been renovated, and it's got a great location - just a stones throw to Copley Square, considered the heart of Back Bay. I think your wife will like the Sheraton, but I think she would really like this hotel.

The hotel connects via a glass pedestrian bridge into the Copley Place Mall, which in turn connects via another glass pedestrian bridge into the aforementioned Prudential Center Mall. The aforementioned, 1 mile long Newbury Street, with numerous clothing stores, shops, spas, salons, restaurants, is also just 2 blocks away.

Go to the game via Copley station, just 1 block and less then a 5 minute walk from this hotel. Regardless of which hotel you take, you will enter the station and catch the green line "B" train to BC. It will say Boston College right on it because it's the final stop for the B line. It makes numerous stops along the campus of Boston University, so plan on an hour to take the T and walk the rest of the way to Alumni Stadium.

I'm sending you fair warning if you select either of these hotels...HIDE the credit card from the wife, because she WILL do some serious damage to it in this immediate area. ;)

Finally, I want to let you know that I attend at least 2 or 3 BC games per year, and although Alumni has metal bleachers for seats, it's a very cozy stadium with fantastic sightlines throughout. I'm sure you'll love BC's campus and enjoy the game at Alumni.

If you and your wife are inerested in either hotel, then go to Hotwire and type in your dates. I'm sure you'll be able to tell which hotel is which by the star rating and the prices I gave you, but if you need help just to be sure, just holler at me.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

I would have said exactly the same thing as Kendrick it she hadn't said it first --- lol!

And you can take the T out to the game at BC.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

I totally forgot to list the LMT hotels in my excitement, lol. But, suffice to say, while they are also good deals, they are a little pricier then the two good choices I just gave you. If you want me to list them then just ask, but I really think you would be onto something with the 2 I shared with you on Hotwire.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

Reinaissance Waterfront is the best hotel of your listed choices. The commute from logan via the silverline is quick and $2.00 per person. You are right that it is new, and the staff is polite and on top of things.

The weather will still be nice here and staying near the water can have its advantages.

There are plenty of places to eat.. A new Legals and 3 other places just opened, with outside seating overlooking the harbor.

Getting to dowtown is not difficult, from this hotel to Faneuil hall is less than a 15 minute walk. You can take the water taxi to the north end and other points.

Boston will be very busy that weekend, so make the reservation now while the good rates are still there.

6. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 00:05
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
225 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

Will the 3.5 star hotel in Backbay on Hotwire definitley be the Sheraton?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

Sure is, Wayne! :)

9. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 04:31
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Question AGAIN!

From the Reanaissance to Faneuil Hall, I'd go straight down Congress . I can't envisioning making that walk in less than 35 minutes. Or I might turn from Congress onto Atlantic Ave and approach the Marketplace from the other side ... is there a shorter route that I'm unaware of?