We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A taste of Royalty in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A taste of Royalty in Boston

Watching a bit of the news coverage for the Royal Wedding yesterday reminded me of what an enjoyable and romantic experience it is to ride in a horse drawn carriage.

There is no need to travel to England for such an experience however since there are many places in the New England area to enjoy a carriage ride.

The last time I was on a carriage ride was a few years ago at the Mount Washington resort. The driver was great..the horse was beautiful and the ride and scenery was spectacular.

Boston also has its share of companies who offer horse -drawn carriage rides and anyone who is looking for a particularly romantic way to celebrate a special occasion should check it out. For around a hundred bucks for an hour, it also makes for a pretty romantic date idea.

www.eleganttouchcarriage.com/services.htm

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

Nice post. I was lucky enough to get a meter in The Seaport Area yesterday around 3. I had to wait for someone, so I sat back and enoyed all the people. The horses are kept not far from Yankee Lobster and several went by. The people love them and the horses seem to get a lot of attention.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

Nice....yes..most people love horses. They are usually the center of attention wherever they are..and for sure..in the city.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

I got caught in a marching band yesterday in front of The Mellinium.....I think everyone stopped to talk to the horses.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

bump

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

I feel nothing but pity for those horses when I see them lined up on the street, just plodding along and breathing in car exhaust. They have no place on the city streets. Why can't they at least be contained to the Common?

I probably should have pity for grown men and women who take such a ride to "feel like royalty", too, but just can't seem to find it.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

I would like to address the issue raised in Veronica's comment. First, there is certainly no need to feel pity for these horses. They are doing what they were bred to do and they are very well treated. Carriage Horse operators must follow fairly strict guidelines and most are members of CONA which is a non profit group which acts in both an educational and overseer capacity.

I have been involved with horses since I was 7 years old and a mistreated and /or unhappy horse is not difficult to spot. I have never seen one in a professional capacity. Many of these carriage horses also compete regularly which means they have to be in top form.

Containing horses to one small area is more cruel than allowing them a wide ranging area in which to travel. Horses contained in one area would easily get bored of the same old site. Also, the very fact that these horses are approachable by strangers is a testament to the way they are treated by their owners. I guess if one disagrees horses being used for the intent for which they were bread they likely also have a fundamental belief and I can respect that. I am sure these are the same people who abstain from eating beef, poultry and lamb.

Also, my reference to "royalty" was tongue in cheek based on the coverage of the Royal Wedding. I have received several PM's from people looking for additional information and who are interested in this unique( and romantic) way to see Boston. Your comment characterizing people who choose to try a carriage ride is insulting, unnecessary and has no place in this forum.

7. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 13:53
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

It provides exercise..something horses need a lot of on a daily basis. They compete in shows. I've been to several carriage horse shows...and they are pretty cool and require a lot of skill and athleticism on the part of the horse. Really something to see..

The smell of manure can be an unfortunate occurrence during a carriage ride...but not a constant. Fortunately, the horse isn't standing still..so it's only temporary. You should try it sometime. You never know..you might like it :-)

9. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

10. Re: A taste of Royalty in Boston