We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

salt lake city
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

Which hotel to stay in over the 4th of July?!! Beacon seems centrally located, but someone told me that the Marriott and Boston Harbor are closer to the touristy things.

We will have our 15 yr. old daughter with us.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

the xv is .83 miles from Marriott LW but that is driving with various one way streets. As the crow flies or person walks, it would be less. So, you are in the same "area" and it is plenty touristy.

Pick one. You won't go wrong. If there was a best answer, 2 of the hotels would be out of business. Although I did not like the Boston Harbor Hotel because I could not get ice on my floor but had to call room service. It didn't take long, but I am not that fancy. Seriously, the LW isn't as fancy as the other two but all are excellent choices as are just about all the other hotel choices that folks fret about.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

It depends on what touristy things you want to see .... all are centrally located, the Marriott is close to the waterfront, the docks for whale watches and harbor cruises, the Aquairum, the North End and Fanieul Hall.

The Boston Harbor Hotel a waterfront hotel. It is about a 5 minute walk from Long Wharf but a little quieter -- there's not much in terms of buisness lapping at their doorstep, but obviously not far from the things already mentioend.

XV Beacon is right near the Freedom Trail and Boston Common and 4 subway lines. It is about a 15 minute walk from 15 Beacon to Marriott Long Wharf.

Without taking into consideration price or room size or anything else .... in SUMMER my first preference would be the Boston Harbor Hotel for the views and the waterfront promenade. In winter my first preference would be XV beacon because it looks cozy and inviting.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 22:28
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

I like 15 Beacon, but in the summer I would go with the other choices.

The Mariott Long Wharf is currently doing some construction work, but it is already looking better and will be done by the time you get here.

The Boston Harbor Hotel is doing some extensive outside work and it is not to be done until the fall. When asked if they are going to do work inside, they are hush about the subject.

Both hotels give excellent views of the harbor. The mariott is a little closer to the north end,

Good luck in your decision.

If you can get a room at the mariott down near the end of the wharf, I would go with this in a heart beat.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

It's very important for you to understand that Boston is a great walking city, and all the touristy areas are easily reached from the other.

You can go from Fenway Park all the way over to the Italian North End on the subway in 15-20 minutes. Those two areas are about as far apart as the tourists roam, unless they plan to go outside the city, or to the Sam Adams Brewery down in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood.

I like XV Beacon, not only as a fantastic hotel, but also it's location smack dab in the middle of it all. You can walk to so many places from there, and there's T stations all around it for using the subway - to go anywhere you want to go.

It would be a super short walk to the Charles River Esplanade for the Fireworks.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any hotel on your list. You may find the Marriott Long Wharf more to your daughters liking since it's a popular hotel with familes. She would probably be more likely to meet kids her own age at that hotel then the other two. But, the XV Beacon would be my choice based solely on the hotel itself.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,236 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

XV Beacon hotel good location for the fireworks but i like the Marriott Long Wharf close to Quincy Market,Faneuil Hall and Freedom Trail.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

Thank you all! I am concerned about the fireworks and getting close to the water front, but we don't want to save a place at the Esplanade first thing in the morning and sit there all day...that's not what I want to do on vacation! I can get 2 rooms at the Beacon with advance booking for just a bit more than the price of one room at the Harbor! I also looked at Kimptons Nine Zero. Close to the Beacon and ranked # 10 on TA. Back Bay looks nice, more expensive, but further from the attractions I think.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Beacon, but still willing to listen to other opinions!

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

That would seal the deal for me right there.

I don't think anyone here has a bad thing to say about XV Beacon. It's a very nice Boutique hotel, very nice rooms (better then Nine Zero), excellent staff, excellent location, free Lexus car service if you need it, and in your case, you have a really good deal for the 4th of July.

The visitors center @ Boston Common is a 5 minute walk. You start the Freedom Trail right there. QuincyMarket/Faneuil Hall is all of a 10 minute walk. Harborfront just a few minutes further. Riverfront for the Fireworks about a 10-15 minute walk depending on where you go along the river. You could even hop on the subway at Park Street and go across the river to the Cambridge side. Not as mobbed like the Boston side, and they have loudspeakers set up broadcasting the Pops concert and the music used for the Fireworks. Plenty of vendors over on that side, too.

8. Re: XV Beacon Hotel or Marriott Long Warf or Boston Harbor Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 17:16