We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
225 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights?

Hello, my wife and I (late 30's) will be arriving in Boston around 4pm on Sunday 4th September 2011. We will be staying in Boston first of all and then touring around Cape Cod, for a total stay of 10 nights. Should we stay for 3 nights or 4 nights in Boston? We would like to visit the usual tourist attractions,Harvard,Duck tour,Freedom Trail etc and to experience Boston food and shopping etc.

Thanks,Wayne. Northern Ireland.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights?

Sounds like a good plan to me. The other consideration is renting on Cape Cod. If you're planning to rent a house, most rent for a week at a time, running from Saturday to Saturday. That may not gel too well with your plans.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights?

Taking off on Alanm's comments, you can always book a weekly cottage rental and skip the first day if you want more time in Boston. Are you set with your accommodations? Realtors say that Cape bookings are stronger than last year though early Sept (while popular) will be easier to book later if that is your intension.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 13:34
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights?

OK, we have decided on 4 nights in Boston (either Boston Marriott or Boston Hilton,not just sure which yet). We also want to include Maine, Rhode Island,Marthas Vineyard and of course Cape Cod in our remaining 6 nights!

I know its trying to cram a lot in,so we were hoping maybe 1 night somewhere in Maine,then to Newport for 1 night and 2 each in MV and perhaps Provincetown Cape Cod.

Thanks people,Wayne.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights?

As long as you know which hotel is which. There are five Marriotts in town and two Hiltons.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights?

Hi Wayne..

I think you'd probably be able to see everything you wanted to see in Boston in 3 days..especially since you have several other places you would like to see. If you do decide to stay in Boston for 4 days..you could use one of those days as a day trip to southern Maine ( Ogunquit, Wells, Kittery ). It will give you a good taste of Maine without having to change hotels too often. Everything else you want to see is south of Boston, so you could easily combine those for a few days.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights?

Just note that Labor Day is on September 5. That is a good day to stay in the city rather than travel on the roads. MBTA, our public transit system, will be operating on a Sunday schedule that day.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights?

Thanks for your help people. after our 4 nights in Boston would it be possible to get the Amtrak to Portland,spend a night there and then rent a car there, for the remainder of our trip? Or should we maybe just do a day trip to Portland? Or,should we travel to Portland on amtrak, then back to Boston next day,before picking up hire car?

Confusing,I know,we would just like to incorporate a visit to maine and a trip on the Amtrak into our trip.

Thank you, Wayne.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights?

What's the remainder of your trip? It would seem to make much more sense to rent the car in Boston to get to Maine and then continue on from there, unless you're still talking about Cape Cod, which is in the totally opposite direction. Then nothing much makes sense. Bear in mind too that rental car companies usually make an extra charge, sometimes quite high, for picking up the car in one city and leaving it in another.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights?

If you take the train to Portland, you can get a bus or taxi for the short distance to the Old Port. The Old Port itself is very walkable and if you're planning to hang around there, no need for a car. If I were you, I would pare down the trip a little bit because to see Boston, Maine, Newport, MV and the Cape is a lot of traveling in 10 days and not a lot of time to relax and explore each individual place. As the other poster said, the 5th is Labor Day and there will be a ton of traffic on the highways that day with people returning from the long weekend, so try to stay put in Boston on that day.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many nights?

Cheers people, staying in Boston from September 4th for 4 nights.

Would just like to visit New Hampshire and Maine whilst we are so near,so was thinking of 1 night in Portland or maybe Kennebunkport, then heading south to Newport R.I., Marthas Vineyard and Cape Cod to split the final 5 days.