We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Would it be better to commute into Boston 2 days in a row using the Framingham or Worcester station? Framingham is a bit closer and takes a lot less time to get into Boston but from what I have been reading,parking is a problem. Is that a big issue? Also how much would the toll on 1-90 cost?

I am just debating at which station to get on and go into Boston on. We will be staying in Ware and really do not want to drive into Boston so we are trying to find the cheapest and easiest option.

Also what areas of Boston do we really have no business being in? I was just wondering what the "seedy" area of Boston are so we can makes sure to avoid them.

Mentioned in this post
Framingham
Framingham
Massachusetts
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,053 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
461 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Both alternatives are not very good. Framingham station;s parking is exceedingly difficult and Worcester is way out of the way. And it would take a lot of extra time to go to either, since you would need to be there well ahead of time. What's the big fear of driving? If it's the parking, you'll make much of that up in parking at the commuter rail station and the rail fare itself. Parking Downtown at the Boston Common Underground Garage is $22 for weekdays and $11 on weekends. Tolls will be a few dollars in each direction. That way, you have command of when you arrive and when you leave, too.

There are no areas Downtown that you need worry about or avoid. Just use the normal "street smarts" that you would use anywhere.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 00:29
Mentioned in this post
Framingham
Framingham
Massachusetts
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

So the driving in Boston is not that bad? Everyone it seems has warned us not to dare go driving in Boston because parking is hard to find and there is horrible traffic. How bad is the traffic there? We are just trying to figure out what would be easiest.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Boston can be confusing ... the highways can get backed up but I've never understood why people get so freaked out over slow moving traffic ... but that's me.

If you don't want to drive all the way in , why not stop at an outlying T station (rather than commuter rail). It will give you more flexibility and not put you too far out of your way.

Assuming you are travelling Mass Pike East, you cuold get off in Newton and park at Wood Lawn on the green line or perhaps closer into Boston you could park at Wellington Station on the Orange Line.

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Parking is not hard to find if you go to a garage. On the street is pretty impossible, though. And even if you were lucky enough to find any, it would only be good for an hour ot two. If you're willing to pay, it's really not a problem.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

I am liking the idea of going to Newton or Wellington Station,which would be easier to find parking and easier to get to? How much traffic could I realistically expect in those areas? We will be getting in the area around 7:30 ish,so probably just in time to hit traffic.

If I got a week link pass for the MBTA would that work? It says it worms for zone 1A but I am not sure if Newton is in that zone.

Alanm-If we did decide to drive into Boston how long should we allow for traffic?

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

I am not sure how long it would take from Ware (never actually made that particular drive), but from Framingham is about a half hour with no traffic. At 7:30, I would plan on doubling that. But why would you plan on driving in at 7:30, which is the absolute worst time? Wait until after 9 and the driving gets much easier. Coming back, just skip the 3:30-6 PM time and driving should be a breeze.

Mentioned in this post
Framingham
Framingham
Massachusetts
Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

We will be going in the city that early because we want to get as much into the day as possible.So I guess we won't be driving in since that is when traffic is bad.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

Can I ask the basic question of why you are staying there in the first place?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

How about hopping on the Mass. Pike into Boston. Take exit 22, Copley/Prudential. Head towards Prudential and as you come exit there is a Prudential garage entrance on the right.

Get to the garage before 9:00 a.m. and exit between 3 and 6 p.m. and the rate is $19.

www.prudentialcenter.com/parking/rates.php

If you're driving in on a weekend, I'd park at the underground Boston Common garage.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would it be better to commute to Boston from the Worcester..

We are staying with family and will be watching their dog as they will be out of town.