We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Trip this coming weekend

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Trip this coming weekend

First of all, thanks for all of the tips we've gotten so far on this trip. (5/13-5/15)

A few specifics on our trip with some last minute ?'s. As a side note- I encourage EVERYONE to always try Priceline Name Your Own Price. Even though it's graduation weekend for many schools- we got an awesome deal: staying at the Westin Copley Place for $100/night. NYOP never lets me down.

1. We are planning on touring Fenway- should we call and make reservations ahead of time?

2. Also, we'd like to do a whale watch because it seems that most people do see whales at this time of the year- any companies that are suggested over other ones?

3. We are not planning on renting a car- we'd like to use the public transportation and I know I need to read up on this but I would appreciate any general tips :)

We are planning on: Atlantic Fish Co for dinner Fri night, Top of the Hub at some point, tour of Fenway, whale watch, Harvard, bookstores, maybe some shopping, more eating, drinking... Per everyone's suggestions, we decided not to visit the Cape this go round- it's too short of a trip and still a little chilly. Any advice is appreciated! :)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Also- a Sam Adams tour. Is this accessible by the train and should I make reservations before?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

I recommend the Whale Watch run by The New England Aquarium. You can check availability and reserve tickets online: neaq.org/visit_planning/whale_watch/index.php

Yes, you can get to the Sam Adams tour by train and a 6 minute walk. More details here: www.samueladams.com/share-passion/tours.aspx

Sorry, I don't know about Fenway. Enjoy your trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Hi, Hannah down in Atlanta!

Okay, first things first if you don't mind? Priceline is not for EVERYONE, and I just wanted to point that out in case someone not in the know decides to use it.

Priceline is an EXCELLENT idea for any single traveler, couple, or travel party of two who does not mind sharing the same bed. Priceline is not the way to go if you don't fall into those three categories, as they only guarantee accommodations for 2 people.

Just wanted to mention that in case the mom with a family of 5 sees that it's for everyone,and thinks she can score such a deal on PL. As George H.W. Bush would say, "that wouldn't be prudent".

Oh, and CONGRATS on scoring the Westin CP for a crazy good price. I really think you and the hub will really enjoy your stay there.

Okay, onto your itinerary and associated questions.

You can just show up at Fenway for the tour. If you don't get to go on the very next tour scheduled, then there's plenty of things outside the park to pique your interest until it's your time to go. But, chances are, you'll just go on the next tour unless it's SUPER full already. The earlier you get to Fenway, the better. The afternoon tours are always the busiest.

You can definitely take the subway to Sam Adams. Back Bay station is a 2 minute walk from the Westin, and houses the subway orange line. Take it outbound (Forest Hills) and hop off at the Stony Brook stop. There are signs to direct you the final few minutes walk to the brewery.

Once again, the earlier you go, the better. It gets VERY busy there from noontime onwards.

Whale watch is your call since both the NEAQ and Boston Harbor Cruises get nearly identical reviews, and offer the exact same thing, e.g. 3-4 hour trip on a high speed catamaran, Naturalist on board, food and drink for purchase, same price, etc.

In closing, I like your itinerary. It seems busy, but not outrageously full of things like some other 3 day itineraries I've seen. You'll probably end up making some changes once you're here and out exploring the city anyways. Ya know, the "unexpectedly cool or interesting" stuff that you stumble upon exploring a new city? ;)

No need to sweat the subway. It's a rather easy system to figure out. The name on the train will let you know which direction it's heading, and what the last stop will be. Take for example your trip to Sam Adams. You want a train heading to Forest Hills (the last stop on the route) even though you'll be getting off before that at Stony Brook.

You'll probably need a little bit of assistance on your first day just because it will be so unfamiliar to you. My advice is to ASK someone if you're unsure. There's T employees walking about the stations and the majority of the general public will also be happy to make sure you're going in the right direction.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 01:08
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Hello Will007! You are absolutely right about NYOP...its.good for parties of 2. Thanks for pointing that out to inexperienced travelers.

I hear our.hotel is in a nice location- I'm excited! Thank you for all of the helpful advice on our trip... I will absolutely post a trip.report when we get back. Do any of you think that we should just skip the whale watch since its a 3-4 hr trip and $40/ea? Again....thank you!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

If I were visiting for such a short time, I'd opt out of the whale watch - one because of the time commitment and secondly, because of the weather (it will be cold out there and showers seem to be in the forecast this weekend).

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

We've had a monster storm off the coast so I will second Mahj's caution on the whale watch. Today it is still dangerous off the coast with small craft warnings out. The current marine forecast does call for some patchy fog as well over the weekend so that is not great for viewing either.

The seas are supposed to diminish, but as a sailor, I'd recommend you check the marine forecast before you decide. Here's a good link for that.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/230.html

Skipping the whale watch this time will give you a great excuse to come back and see us again!

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Thank you so much for the tips- I don't think we'll do the whale watch this time. Especially considering the weather. We are so excited for our trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Seems like a smart move to pass on the whale watch this time, Hannah. But, if the weather isn't too bad, then you could always take one of the cruises offered by Boston Harbor Cruises. Those stay in the harbor and are only around an hour in length. Something to keep in your back pocket in case you get the urge to see Boston from the water. The sunset cruise is nice if the sun's out, lol.

BTW, Hannah, I don't see the North End anywhere on your itinerary. Please make it a point to stop by there and check it out. Have lunch, have dinner, eat delicious pastries, it's a great neighborhood.

To get there from the Westin, take the orange line from Back Bay station, and instead of taking the outbound train (Forest Hills) to Sam Adams, take the inbound train (Oak Grove) and hop off at Haymarket stop. The North End is a 5 minute walk from there.

Or, take the green line from Copley Staion to Gov't Center station, then cut thru City Hall Plaza which will take you right into Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Walk thru the Marketplace and keep going and you'll walk right up into the North End. Around a 15 minute walk this way, but at least you can see more things, like Faneuil Hall along the way.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 00:21
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,582 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Have a great time in Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Trip this coming weekend

Just in case Hannah checks back in, I hope she did skip the whale watch. News says several people were hurt today on a Whale Watch out of Hyannis.

thebostonchannel.com/mostpopular/…detail.html

I don't know if the rogue wave mentioned was left from the storm or the minor earthquakes in Vineyard Sound over the weekend, but this weekend was not a great time to be at sea.

Let me add that this is a very rare event. Most of the time, we have a great time off the coast.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/