We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain, rain, go away

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Rain, rain, go away

I'm getting worried, I have tickets for the red sox game this Wednesday and it very well may be my last chance to see a game at Fenway.

Anyone with any pull with the sun gods? Do they typically try to get the games in even if it means playing on a soggy field?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain, rain, go away

The good new is that they do their best to get the games in. The field is covered by a tarp, by the way.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain, rain, go away

I have tickets for that game, too. The bad news is that instead of just canceling the game due to rain, they try to play it and end up calling "rain delays" where you are held hostage seeking cover below the stands with nothing to do but by $8 beers. And, they could eventually end up canceling the game anyway.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Sometimes, if the players are complaining, they call the game in advance. Mike Lowell was sort of an advocate for the fans, and he would voice his annoyance to the media, when the owners would not cancel the games during the day.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain, rain, go away

I will put a good word in for you for rain-free weather. I was just at a game with thunder, lightening, rain, and a two hour plus delay. However, it was worth it since we won!

Typically, the Sox try to get the games in and are not too quick to reschedule. So as Cabinet said, you are held captive (no re-entry allowed). If I were in your shoes (hopefully not soggy ones), I'd make sure to wear layers, bring an umbrella, and keep looking for updates on the weather and/or Sox website for any news.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Well, I have tickets for TONIGHT and really wish they WOULD cancel but I bet they won't since there seem to be some non-rain (albeit still miserable) windows of opportunity to play. They'll also try to squeeze in games early in a series in case they have to cancel later. Since we have other opportunities to face the Orioles at Fenway again this season, they might just cancel. With the Tigers, it's trickier and with the Cubs this weekend fans better be prepared to wait out some rain delays cuz I can't imagine them canceling those unless it's torrential!

BTW, you can go to Who's on First (bar) on Yawkey Way during rain delays. Gets crowded but it's better than standing in the cold wet.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Thanks for the info.

Will the subway run late if the game is delayed?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Well ... we had 2 SRO tix for tonight's game that we got for less than face value. couldn't get either one of our young teens to go and hubby and I don't want to leave the kids home alone for too long, so we wimped out and opted to stay home and watch hockey on TV. I feel like such a wimp! lol!

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Forgot..I have a good friend who had tickets to tonight's game and he opted not to go. You're not a wimp. To me , standing(or sitting) in cold , rainy weather for what could be hours does not sound like a fun way to spend the night.

Jerry, I would find it hard to believe that the T would leave all those Red Sox fans stranded at Fenway..but I can't be sure. Are you staying in the city? I do know that the Commuter rail does not delay trains for late games/concerts etc.

Sorry the weather is not cooperating for your visit. Mother nature and I have a sort of love/hate relationship..but I will wish the rain away for Wednesday.

Edited: 17 May 2011, 00:33
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain, rain, go away

The T won't run any later for a regular season game, rain delay or not.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain, rain, go away

Missed a good game tonight, wimp. lol.