We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North End restaurant with kids

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
492 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
North End restaurant with kids

Hi. We're looking for a good Italian restaurant in the North End suitable for kids. Our children are well behaved and do have discriminating palates (LOL). We all enjoy good Italian food and consider ouselves foodies. Any suggestions for a July trip? Giacomo's looks great, but unfortunately I don't think the kids will tolerate that long of a wait.

Thanks!!!!!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North End restaurant with kids

I think you hit the nail on the head...a good restaurant for kids is one where you don't have to wait in a long line, as well as one that isn't going to be very expensive and formal.

I'd suggest Massimino's, on Endicott St., or La Summa on Fleet St. Both are reasonably-priced and both take reservations. Massimino's is definitely a "red sauce" Italian-American place, but the food is quite good.

http://www.massiminosboston.com/contact.html

Boston
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North End restaurant with kids

If they're well-behaved and not picky, I guess you can take them just about anywhere. Look into Marco in the North End. It's a step above the run of mill red sauce places, but not very formal or expensive. It is on the second floor on Hanover St.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
492 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North End restaurant with kids

Are you both saying that the North End Italian restaurants are not over the top in terms of formality and are all appropriate with kids? Can I just pick any restaurant that looks good here on tripadvisor?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North End restaurant with kids

There's several North End restaurants that cater to adults only. They might not state that, but their menus and settings are definitely set up that way.

I think Cabinet gives great advice, but I'm going to disagree on the Marco suggestion. Small, dimly lit restaurant that has an intimate, romantic setting. Full of couples looking for that special night out together.

Restaurants like Carmen and Pomodoro, just to name a couple more, are similar.

How about La Famiglia Giorgio, La Summa, and Al Dente?

Edited: 17 May 2011, 04:57
Boston
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North End restaurant with kids

Well, it's up to you.You know your kids best. From the description of your kids it sounds like they would be fine anywhere. How old are your kids any way? When our kids were young, even very young, we took them to all kinds of restaurants, even extremely formal ones, without a problem. Marco can be thought of as romantic if you're in that mode, but it's not overly formal and I think you would enjoy it anyway. Prezza and Mamma Maria are a couple of quite upscale restaurants in the North End, that maybe you would want to skip with the kids. Check out various North End menus and make up your mind, based on what you like, but I wouldn't limit myself to just red sauce places because you have kids with you.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
492 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North End restaurant with kids

We have taken our kids to many more formal restaurants and they have done well. Our youngest is 6.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: North End restaurant with kids

If that's the case, how do you define "suitable for kids"?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North End restaurant with kids

If they are good eaters, I'd just plan on getting to Giacamo's at 4:30ish for a 5pm entry. Ditto some of the other infamouns line/no reserviation places. Or try going for lunch (Giacamo's doesn't open for lunch but other places do) and then having a light dinner or doing something special at dinner time (like a sunset harbor cruise) or even a visit to Revere Beach or Castle Island for a light meal and some unstrcutred 'play' time.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
492 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North End restaurant with kids

Suitable for kids would be a restaurant that is not overly formal and not overly quiet. As I am doing my research I see many North End restaurants have a high volume level. This will work for us. By the way we will be 9 total with 5 kids.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North End restaurant with kids

The only restaurant which *might* not be for the kids is Mamma Maria. Prezza is also high end, but quite noisy and casual.

I think Carmen and Pomodoro would be totally fine. Have not been to Marco. WHOA! Just saw that there were 9 of you. That is very important info!! Carmen is tiny. Pomodoro is also small and will not take reservations. Stick with La Summa. Or, go early to Giacomo's, as forgotmypword suggests.

L'Osteria Rustico might also work as well. Lucca and Taranta are higher end places; if you feel your food dollars will not be wasted on the kids there, they take reservations and can fit you.

La Famiglia Giorgio is awful for anyone of any age.