We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 5/13-5/15

As always, thank you to EVERYONE for all of your help in planning my trip. We had such a wonderful time and I fell in love with Boston. Let me say that I loved our hotel- Westin @ Copley Square. I loved the hotel itself, the location, the architecture around it- everything. I will definitely stay there again in the future. Even though we had already gotten a fabulous deal on Priceline- the sweet guy at the front desk- Masai- gave us a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite overlooking the water and the city just because he said we were nice. How sweet is that? We appreciated it so much- it was gorgeous on the 28th floor.

Friday: We got in around lunch time- found the public transportation system to be very easy to use and so much cleaner than other public transportation we’ve used (Ie NYC and Marta in Atl.) We walked around the Copley Square area admiring the churches, the library, etc and then wandered down Newbury Street to find something for lunch. We made a mistake (because we were getting so hungry) and ended up eating at The Other Side. Eww- we did not like it at all. Won’t go back here. We spent the rest of the day walking around MIT and Harvard Square. So neat- loved every minute of it. We also stopped by to have a cupcake at Sweet and it was delicious- the best cupcake I’ve ever eaten- I had the cheesecake and husband had red velvet. Yum! We were both a little surprised by the city- I think we were thinking it would be more like NYC but it wasn’t-MUCH cleaner and MUCH less crowded- felt safer overall. It was chilly while we were there but we didn’t mind coming from Atlanta- it was a break from the humidity. After Harvard and MIT, we went and got some champagne to take to the room and we went back to the room to freshen up for dinner later. We made reservations for Atlantic Fish Company- 900PM. It was DELICIOUS. Everything about this place was awesome. My husband can be a food snob, but he loved everything. We got the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer- delicious. Four huge shrimp. He had the scallops over pesto pasta and I had an appetizer because I wasn’t that hungry. The scallops were SO delicious. I also had a blueberry beer that was too die for. Totally worth the price, we even considered going the next night but didn’t. Afterwards, we went across the street to an irish pub that was connected to the Lenox hotel- nothing irish about the bar but it was a nice enough place to have drinks. After that, went back to the room and crashed. A great day overall, for sure!

Saturday: We woke up late Saturday morning and headed over to Fenway to take a tour. We had about an hour until the next tour so we went across the street to Boston Beer Works for lunch. This place is just bar food so nothing to write home about but it was a nice lunch. I had a blueberry beer here as well and was disappointed compared to the beer I had the night before at Atlantic Fish Company. Went back to Fenway and took the tour. Let me say this, Fenway tour was by far the best part of our trip. I loved every second of it. Baseball is a huge part of my life- my dad played college ball and semi pro before he got hurt and now he trains players so it’s in my blood. It was a great tour- very informative, funny, great. And of course I loved taking pictures in front of the Green Monster. My husband and I talked about how we hope that Atlanta can have that kind of history one day. (Not knocking on Atl because I am an Atlanta girl at heart- just an observation.) After the tour, we headed to Sam Adams to take the tour. I feel like I shouldn’t say anything negative because it was free… but… we have toured a lot of different breweries from Atlanta to Hawaii, etc and this was our least favorite tour. It wasn’t very informative- very short. I didn’t love it but we still had a great time. After the tour, we were getting hungry so we headed towards he North End for dinner. We ate at Pizzeria Regina. I know some sites listed it as the best restaurant in Boston- it was good pizza, but I didn’t think it was all that great. Went back to the hotel exhausted.

Sunday: (Sorry this is ending up longer than I thought for just a weekend trip ) Wanted to do brunch before our 130PM flight so we had heard about Aquitaine and walked by- they were booked solid for the next hour so we walked down the street to the Beehive. This place was pretty good. After laughing hysterically and making fun of my husband for the first 20 minutes because he ordered a “Persian Kitty” for his beverage, I enjoyed French toast and he had some sort of fries-gravy-eggs combo that he loved. Then we were off to the airport and back to Atlanta 

We loved Boston and definitely want to go back to visit the Cape when it’s warmer. Thanks so much for everyone’s wonderful suggestions 

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Oh, Hannah, what a really nicely written TR!

No need to apologize about it's length at all.

Well, I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Copley Place. It's a hotel I never hesitate to recommend if the price is right. Copley Square (and the rest of Back Bay) is right at your fingertips, and there's some great architecture in that neighborhood.

It sounds like there were some hits and some misses as far as the food went. Just another reason to come back and try some different restaurants next time. I LOL'd @ your hubby ordering a Persian Kitty. I hope he wasn't too embarrassed by all the laughter? :)

Awesome to hear about your connection to baseball. Boston is definitely a baseball town for sure! I know some are down on Fenway, and would like to see it replaced, but the new ownership has done about all they can do in upgrading it while keeping it's history intact. I would much rather have an old, quirky ballpark chock full of history then one of those cookie cutter parks. Anyways, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the tour. Next time you should go to a game, and sing Sweet Caroline with the rest of us. ;)

I'm not surprised at all that you found the Sam Adams tour not to your liking. It's definitely one of those touyrs that you end up loving (because you love their beer) or you find a big disappointment. Truth is, it's really not a brewery anymore. They do most of their R&D there, and brew up small test batches. I think that turns some people off once they realize they are really only given a presentation on the brewing process, and not an actual brewery tour.

May I suggest the Harpoon Brewery tour the next time you're in town? It might be a small brewery, but the staff is awesome, and the beers are high quality. And, if you go on a weekend, you'll get a brewery tour followed by a free tasting for $5. (Free, nearly 1 hour tastings during the weekdays, but no tours). So, keep Harpoon in mind when you come back.

Thanks for taking the time to come back here and share your experiences with us. I'm sure there's plenty there for future visitors to Boston who will find your TR very helpful.

Cheers!

Will

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

I can't believe you have already visited us and gone home! Thanks for the report. We always like to have recaps.

So glad you enjoyed the Fenway Tour. Do you recall who your guide was and how large would you estimate your group was?

I wonder how the Sam Adams tour compares to the Harpoon Brewery one which I thought was very entertaining and informative.

Hope you come back to Boston soon.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Will was posting same time as you. Glad we are on the same wavelength!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Thanks for the report. It's always great to hear back.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

What a great trip report. Thanks for posting!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Yes, we were, Mahj!

And for those who wish to take some beer with them after the tour/tasting, they sell those Growlers that they'll fill up with 42 oz of the good stuff.

Most everyone walks out of this place with a good buzz going, and having Yankee Lobster right next door is a good excuse to soak up some of that alcohol with a lobster or fish & chips, and some good clam chowder.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

I took the Fenway tour in February right after a big snow storm. They were doing a lot of renovation work, but it was FASCINATING. I love baseball (I live in NYC...its part of our religion - even more so in the olden days when we had Giants, Yankees and Dodgers. I did make sure NOT to wear my NY Yankees hat in Boston!!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Really enjoyed your TR you did a lot in just 2 plus days yes the Westin is a very good hotel glad you had fun in Boston.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

Thanks, everyone. I always try to post trip reports to show how much o truly appreciate TA. it has truly changed the way I travel. And yes, Will, my husband was terribly embarrassed by all the laughter at the Persian Kitty... in fact, he wanted to order a stiff liquor drink or heavy beer afterwards which made me laugh even harder considering it was breakfast and all :)

I don't remember my tour guides name at fenway...it was a big group...I would say 60 ppl or so?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 5/13-5/15

You bought a bottle of champagne and took it to your room for pre-dinner drinks? NICE! I like your style!

Wow, Regina has good pizza, but I would never list it as the best restaurant in Boston! Yikes.

P.S. Is Marta dirty now? I remember it being quite clean, though I lived there over 15 years ago. Sad that it's gone downhill. :o( Marta had a lot of potential, but the rednecks in Gwinnett and Cobb insisted on fighting all the good expansion plans they had back then. Sux. Now you have worse traffic than LA, from what I hear! Sorry, strayed off topic.