We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Looking at taking a day trip down to Newport involving driving through Boston on Columbus Day and wondering if rush hour a factor or is it a holiday?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Columbus Day is a holiday although most stores remain open and for many it is business as usual. Columbus Day weekend is a busy one as many enjoy the fall foliage. With that said, I would not let it deter you from driving down to Newport.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Does that mean I shouldn't worry too much about avoiding rush hour in am on 93 through city? I will be coming from VT (about 2 hours away) so likely 9ish and am not due in Cohasset area until late afternoon so thought I would have lunch and spend a couple of hours in Newport if weather good as have never been there.

Other question I wonder about is whether traffic from Newport will be gridlocky on the Monday with people heading north after long weekend for some. I need to be in Cohasset area between 4 and 5.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Since it's such a "minor" holiday, I would suggest adhering to the normal rush hour precautions when going through the city, avoiding going through Boston between 6:30-9:30 and 4-6:30. However, the holiday traffic should not an issue for you, as it will impact the "leaf peeping" areas to the north and west.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

I agree with Alan. I do not work for a government office and haven't had it off in 10+ years (unless I voluntarily take a vacation day).

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Thanks - will stick with my usual pattern of driving through Boston after 9:30 and keep Newport optional for now.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Is there some reason to go thru Boston on way to Newport? Don't have my map but doesn't seem most direct. While Newport is great daytrip vt to Boston to Newport to Cohasset is long day.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

When coming down 89 or 93, going through Boston is the most direct. Otherwise, you add a lot of miles and time and you don't necessarily avoid rush hour traffic (like going on 128 or 95 around Boston).

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

I am beginning to think the day trip to Newport may wait for another time as I do have occasion to go to Cohasset from time to time and may go from there as I can head down 3 without having to work around Boston rush hour.

To completely change direction on this post the other place I have on my wish list to visit in Boston is Harvard Square which sounds more doable. Wondering if you could advise me how to access coming down 93 and where to park to have a look at Harvard U and the Square area and have lunch on my way to Cohasset.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

Just bear in mind that paking in Harvard Square is VERY limited and is about as expensive as it is anywhere in Downtown Boston. We're talking in the $30's. Are you willing to spend that?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Columbus Day a holiday?

30+ seems too high for me - guess I will leave that as well for doing from Cohasset area as taking the ferry from Hull to downtown Boston has worked for me in past and maybe just spend a few extra hours enjoying the Vermont foliage on way.