We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 19 -22

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report May 19 -22

I can't say enough how helpful this board was and how much we loved Boston. It was a struggle to post here this morning rather than go to real estate sites to plan my move!! Kidding, but I could so live there!!!

We arrived (late, thank you very much Southwest) Thursday afternoon and took a taxi straight to our hotel (Boston Sheraton). The check in line seemed long but moved very quickly and within minutes we were in our room. The room they had reserved for us wasn't quite ready so they switched us to a room on a lower floor (24 down to 19) but it was great. We had a view of the river and Fenway!!!! We upgraded from our hotwire standard room to a two room suite, excellent choice as we were traveling with our 18 year old son. It was so nice to have to areas, two TV's, and just some privacy.

The weather was icky but we boarded the duck tour anyway. It was informational, I think our con-duck-tour could have been more fun but oh well. I think it was a good over view of the city and am glad we did it. After that we were ready for dinner. We headed to Mc Greevey's for the burger challenge. Our table ordered two Beckett burgers and several other sides and entree's. We had a great time. We had a full day and another ahead of us so we decided to call it a night close to 11. Paying our bill was difficult...hard to get our server then she informed us that they were out of T-Shirts that come with the burger challenge. Really? That information might have been helpful BEFORE paying $30 for a burger. (who thinks they're really going to mail our shirts?)

Friday - FENWAY DAY!!!!

So the whole reason we came to Boston was to take my son to Fenway for his 18th birthday. It just happened to coincide with MLB history and the Chicago Cubs being in town. We got up and headed to Fenway for the tour. It was fun and informational but I have a feeling that if you go in the off season you get to see more. Friends told us that they visited the locker rooms, dug outs, and scoreboard area. We saw none of those. But walking up to the seats behind home plate and seeing the field for the first time was almost....magical. We just stopped and took it all in. After the tour we shopped at the team store and then ate some snacks and Remy's. Back to the hotel (lots of walking) to get ready for the game. We stopped off at a little tiny bar with a polish name that only served beer and wine for another round. Got to our room. Literally, just changed clothes and headed back to Fenway. I had three extra tickets to the game that ended up going to waste :( but we had a few drinks in the bleacher bar (great spot) before heading into the game. Game was great. Sox clobbered the Cubs. We tried to go out after the game, but after ten it was really hard to find a bar that would allow my 18 year old son in. So we went to Legal Sea Food, they even fed us at 11:30 at night. A round of drinks and half a dozen lobster rolls later we were done for the night.

Saturday -

we had nothing planned for today other than just checking out Boston. We headed to Fanueil Hall (first time on the T...incredibly easy) Shopped a little there (needed a Harley Davidson/Boston shirt for hubby) then headed over to North End. After wandering up and down looking for somewhere to eat with only the help of my YELP app on my phone we stopped to talk to a couple of older Italian guys on the street. They insisted we go to Ll Panino for lunch, and that we told them Jerry sent us. We were a party of nine and they immediately seated us int he basement. It was cool down there and we were alone, so it was really nice. Best lunch ever!!!! Our server Stephan was wonderful!!!! After several laid back courses, the basement was now full (incidentally, just about everyone down there said Jerry sent them LOL) Our server surprised my son with tiramisu and the whole area singing happy birthday to him.

We wandered around and ate a cannolli and some gelato, bought some limoncello and cigars. Then headed to the Purple Shamrock, eh, they were ok. After that we took the T back to our hotel and then to the Pour House for dinner. Everything was really good. We finished up with a round in the hotel lounge and were very sad that this was it for Boston.

We headed to the airport early Sunday morning.

It's a wonderful city. I'm so glad we did everything we did. I can't wait to return!! The people in the city were so so so helpful. Riding the T was a breeze, but we are used to public transportation being from Chicago and are daily users of the metra and the "el". Thanks to everyone on this board for helping us decide what to do. I truly believe that planning is half the fun and you guys make that true!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Purple Shamrock
Purple Shamrock
37 Reviews
Boston, MA
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Great report. Glad you had a good time. How is it that three tickets to the game were wasted? Do you mean you had extra tickets and didn't give them away?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

I took the Fenway tour in February, snow on the ground...they were doing a LOT of repairs.

You said: "Friends told us that they visited the locker rooms, dug outs, and scoreboard area. We saw none of those."

I didnt see those areas either. The dugout would have been interesting....but I still enjoyed the tour. Even though it was off-season, I was careful NOT to wear my NY Yankees hat anywhere near Fenway!! I would def. do the tour again.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Great trip report. I can't wait until the Sox are in Chicago so I can head your way. Come back soon!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Nice report! I was in Chicago about 5 years ago when the Sox where at Wrigley. I thought that was quite magical too...and I loved that they have beer guys! We are heading back your way at the end of July to see a Sox vs Sox game. I loved Chicago the last time we were there and I am sure it will be just as great this time around.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Excellent TR!!!

I thought of you guys this weekend, and was hoping you were having a good time. The weather has been rather depressing around here, so I'm happy to hear it didn't slow you down too much.

Good to hear the Sheraton worked out okay for you guys. You were very smart to book your accomodations well in advance. There were a number of people who were trying to find last minute hotels for this past weekend, and were shocked to find them all sold out, or charging well over $300/night to stay there.

I couldn't get over how many Cubs fans were at Fenway this weekend! But, it was good for baseball as there was a lot of excitement in the city.

Hope you get to come back when the skies are blue, and the temps are a little more comfortable for checking things out.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Sounds like a great time... How much was the cab ride from the airport to the Sheraton?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

We needed a minivan because there were five if us so $12 was added off the top and I believe it was $50.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Wait... your ordered a $30 burger, expecting a t-shirt. The t-shirt didn't come, but you still paid the $30? Also, how did you "waste" 3 tickets? Sorry, these things really jumped out at me. Otherwise, sounds like you had a great time.

And I'm sure your 18 year old enjoyed the pub crawl you took him on!!!!!!!!

EDIT: And that "Polish name" was probably Bukowski, named after the poet.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 19:01
Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
310 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

How much was the upgrade at the Sheraton? And did your teen sleep on a sofa in the second room?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report May 19 -22

Hi

Great TR. We are arriving in a few weeks and can't wait. I am also interested in how much the cost was to upgrade to Club Level at the Sheraton form the Hotwire rate?

Jodi