We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

we are spending a few days on cape cod and then 2 or 3 nights in boston .. hope to catch a red sox game but beyond that, not sure. We'll have my 10 yr old and 19 yr old daughter with us ... Will need a hotel with a minimum of 2 queen beds -- perhaps a sleep sofa or room for a cot, too.

We will also have a car and I understand driving in town is not necessary or advisable. We are new yorkers so understand city driving and parking... not to mention, public transportation.

Should we stay in a suburban area and use public transit in/out of the city? If so, what town is best? Any hotels to recommend specifically.

If we stay in town.. what are the best family friendly hotels?

Our budget is probably around $200 per night ...

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Hi, rachelfran!

The first hotel that comes to mind is the Radisson Boston on Stuart Street.

It's quite popular with families, offers rather spacious rooms with 2 queen beds, free wifi throughout, is in an excellent location for doing your sightseeing, and is reasonably priced compared to most other Boston hotels. Plus, it gets good reviews.

This hotel is one I see listed on both Hotwire, but usually more often on Lastminutetravel. LMT has a cancellation policy while Hotwire does not. Would you be interested in seeing if it's available for your travel dates? If so, give me those dates, and I'll go look for you.

If you could get this hotel at a discounted rate, then it will help absorb the parking costs, and allow you guys to stay right in the city. Parking is $40/night at the hotel, but a 10 minute walk is the Boston Common Garage. You could park here on weekdays @ $27 per 24 hrs or for just $11 per 24 hours on weekends.

Give me those travel dates if you want me to see if it's available for you guys.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

thanks for you help.. we are now also considering possibly staying in cape cod for a week and making the trip to boston a day trip - so as to avoid the pricey parking and hotel stay ...

Regardless - the dates we'd need are round about - august 3 for 3 nights.

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Daytripping from the Cape to Boston? Hmm, if that's what you really want to do...

Well, the Radisson is listed as "on request" for those dates, so it's not available at this time. Rate was $144/night.

The best you could do is to shack up at the Sheraton Boston for $148/night, and pay $30/day for parking. That would still have you at your budget of $200, but it appears you're thinking of taking a different approach.

I would suggest you do this daytrip on a weekend so you can avoid the usual weekday commuter traffic coming up and going back down 93 and 3.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Just a quick FYI....although cheap..if you plan on booking the cheaper rooms at the sheraton..you may want to find out if you can upgrade when you arrive..I stayed at the Sheraton a couple of years ago and the standard room was pretty small...a year earlier, I stayed in one of the suites and it was more than adequate..but 4 people in a standard room will be tight.

Also..are you renting a house on the Cape..and on what part? If renting a house then I can see doing Boston as a day trip...if staying in a hotel..I think you should just bite the bullet and stay in Boston..you're paying for lodging anyhow.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Where are you staying on the Cape? I drove up from Truro yesterday, no traffic ... it took about 1hr20mins minutes from Truro to Sagamore where we made a meal stop. Then about another hour from there to the entrance to the Ted Williams tunnel. Even though it was Sunday about 5ish ... , we hit Boston traffic and crawled for the last 8-9 miles before the tunnel.

A day trip could be very tiring and still come iwth parking fees ....although if you want to rent a house, you generally need to rent from Saturday to Saturday. There's even hotels with efficiencies that have that 7 night Sat-to-Sat policies during the peak season

If your objective is to tour Boston ... the cape commute could be tedious. I've never stayed at the Sheraton, so I can't comment on the room, but it gets fairly good reviews..

Edited: 24 May 2011, 00:37
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Forgot..I agree that the reviews are good...but rooms can get very crowded especially when traveling with teens and pre-teens..thus my recommendation of trying to upgrade. When my son was a teen we always did two rooms when traveling or the suite..worked out best for everyone..especially him...lol

7. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 02:35
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Your question is somewhat bizarre and intrusive..but yes....I've stayed at the Sheraton twice..I've also stayed at the Westin once..and further..I stayed for free..lol

I have never felt the need to mention the fact that I've stayed there...because I don''t have a positive or negative opinion of either ( although to me the Westin has the edge)so therefore would add nothing significant. Besides..I am certain your knowledge of the Sheraton is far superior and that you've been there many more times than I have and spent many more nights in the rooms and enjoyed all the amenities that each had to offer. What "sheraton threads" have I commented on..?In what thread have I had a negative or positive comment about either( other than location)..including this one..? Are you monitoring my history Will..?? Because that would be a little disturbing as well.

I comment on a lot of Gloucester and Salem threads as well..but I think tonight may have been the first time I mentioned Captain Carlos or Latitude 43 two additional places I have been.

Once again..your question is odd. ..not related to the OP's request.. Once again, I will ask politely that if you have a question of a personal nature to keep it off the board and ask me personally.

Would you not suggest to the OP that they attempt an upgrade once they arrive? Having traveled with teens and pre-teens I know I sure would.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

Sorry if you felt I was being intrusive...curious is more like it.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for family - early August .. queen beds, affordable...

I would take a look at some hotels which are more unique to Boston, than than the sheraton or raddison.

Try the Boston Park Plaza or The Taj which is the original Ritz in Boston. The Taj sits on the beginning of Newbury Street and overlooks the Boston Public Garden.

The Boston Park Plaza is one of the older hotels in Boston, and is full of character with its Grand ballrooms. I know that this hotel will run specials which include reduced parking rates. Both of these hotels are closed to the Boston Common Garage as well. This is where Bill Clinton would stay when visiting Boston..