We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Logan + Shopping

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Logan + Shopping

We are travelling down from Ashland after a one week stay for an early morning flight down to Orlando in October.

Fisrt point is where should we stay overnight. I have looked at Hotwire and decent hotels seem to be in the Convention Centre area. It will be a Friday evening so I imagine the area will be quiet. Are there any nice restaurants that are worth a visit within walking distance? Or should we stay closer to Logan in perhaps the Halmiton Hilton. This would be the same price as a Hotwire 4 star in the convention area

Secondly my wife has been told that there is a good mall on the outskirts of Boston. Is this worth a visit taking in mind we will be in Florida (Marco Island ) for a week. I would be interested to know if there any good shops for golf clothing.

Any advise gratefully received

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

I'm a little confused. Are you staying in Ashland, Mass? For a week? I guess the first question is why, if that's so? Just so you know, Ashland is about a 45 minute trip to Logan Airport, so no need to stay the night before nearer the airport. You shouldn't encounter any traffic at all early on a Saturday morning. And the Premium Outlet Mall is actually pretty close to Ashland, just south on 495 for 15 or 20 minutes. Adjacent Framingham also has a lot of shopping.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

In the convention center area (Seaport District) there are now a bunch of restaurants. In one complex there is a three-level Legal's with different dining options on each level, a Del Frisco's steak house, Jerry Remy's sports bar, and a nicer Mexican (Texmecal?). Across the street is a Legal Texs Kitchen and a Salvatore's for Italian. There is a faux Irish pub in the Westin. There is a Morton's steak house down there and a couple of casual choices including Whiskey Priest. There is a Daily Catch for seafood with Italian flare and Sam's with a big waterfront deck (but, might be too chilly in Oct.). If there is a convention the area may not be too quiet. The area is developing and becoming more active all the time. Also, won't be quiet if there is a concert at the Bank of America Pavillion.

There are lots of malls around Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

You really cannot get any closer to logan than the seaport area, unless you stay right at logan. The sliver line from that area leaves you right to the terminal.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

We are staying in Ashland NH which I understand is about 2 hours away. We have a 07.00ish flight so by the time we drop off the hire car etc I would have thought we need to be nearby by 05.00. Hotwire do not seem to have any decent hotels near the airport for $150. They seem to be cheap 2 stars.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

You should think about returning the rental the night before, if staying in the seaport area. At that time of the morning, not having to return the car, will save time. I would take a cab which will be ten minutes and under 20 dollars.

The seaport area is getting busier all time time. You will enjoy it here.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

OK ... you've confused a lot of us because there is an "Ashland" as well as a "Braintree" ... both within driving distance of the airport --- lol!

It's my understanding that if you use priceline and bid on a 4-star airport hotel, the only hotel it will be is the Hilton right at the airport with a shuttle bus to the terminal outside your door.

In any case ... I would get all your shopping mall trips etc, done and return the car the night before your flight to Orlando. If you stay at the airport or the Hampton Inn very near the airport (they have their own shuttle) it will be a very short bus ride. If you stay in the Seaport area (aka convention center) it will be a short taxi or Silver line ride. (The Silver line is an extension of the subway/mass transit system --- it is a bus that runs in a dedicated tunnel to the airport)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

The Burlington Mall is on your way from NH. It's a large, upscale mall right off of the highway where route 3 intersects with 95/128, so worth visiting if you can do so without overly complicating your day.

I don't know about their selection of Golf clothing. I would think that FL would have a better selection, but you may not want to worry about shopping before you hit the links. http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=146

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

There are a couple of sporting goods stores in the Burlington Mall..but if you are looking specifically for golf there's a big golf store( is that the right term....lol??) right next to the Burlington Mall..I think it's called Golf Galaxy..I've never been inside..but it looks pretty good.

I think you will have more luck in your shopping in this area if coming from NH..then when you get to Boston, you can enjoy the city. Not to mention it would break up your drive a bit.

9. Re: Boston Logan + Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 06:17