We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

Alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

We will be arriving at Logan on Friday, 7/29 at approximately 12:40 pm, if our plane is on time. We are planning to rent a car and drive to the cape, staying in Orleans for 3 nights. I would hope that we might be on the road by 2 pm to the Cape. BUT now, my husband is worried about the traffic to the Cape on a summer Friday afternoon, and also the fact that we have never driven in Boston before.

I am now considering one of the fast ferries to Provincetown, and then rent our car there to drive to Orleans. What do you think the chances are that we could make a 2:00 ferry departure if our flight arrives on time at 12:40? 30 minutes to claim baggage, 15 minutes for taxi ride?

Even if we could make it, I probably couldn't book the ferry tickets ahead of time without knowing that our flights would be on time that day. Do the ferries typically sell out ahead of time on a summer Friday?

Thanks for any input or ideas. I think we will be fine driving, just relax and enjoy the traffic. :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

You should be fine driving from Logan at that time of day. You don't really have to drive in the city itself, you leave the airport, go thru a tunnel and onto the highway. If you are much later than 3 pm, chances are good you will hit a lot of traffic.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

I think you'll be on your way before the brunt of the afternoon commute kicks in. You may hit some Friday afternoon traffic leaving the city, and especially getting onto route 3 south, but I don't think it's anything you guys couldn't handle.

There would be too many "what ifs" involved with trying to catch the 2pm ferry, and I'm guessing the car rental would cost substantially more in P-town versus the airport.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

I agree that you should just go ahead and drive. Given all the steps you'll have to take to take the ferry and then get a car in P-town... you're much better off just getting the car at the airport and going on your way.

I do want to warn you that traffic will be worse than I think Will and kendrick make it seem. I've driven at exactly that time on a summer Friday, and it's pretty bad. It still makes sense to start from the airport, though. Like you said, relax and enjoy the traffic! As long as you're mentally prepared for it, you'll be OK.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

If traffic on 3 is bad, then get off in Plymouth. Stop by the water for a snack or drink, stretch your legs and then continue down 3A to the bridge. You will miss the traffic and have a much prettier ride.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

The traffic can be brutal heading to the Cape on a Friday. You should be okay if you can leave Boston by 2:00. If there is not much traffic, that should put you at the bridge at around 3:30. It should be busy but no where near as busy as say 6:00pm.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

Oh please people, slow maybe, but brutal?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

Yeah, save the word "brutal" for the traffic coming back on a Sunday night.

;-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,564 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

Since there are two of you watch for the HOV lanes on the left in Boston to shave off a few extra minutes.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

If you are leaving that early on Friday you should be fine. The worst of the traffic is when Cape traffic intermingles with regular Friday rush hour traffic, then it's a bit of a mess to get through the city.

10. Re: Should we consider the fast ferry to the Cape on a Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 07:16