We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from boston to cape cod?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
510 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
ferry from boston to cape cod?

I apologize if this question has been answered etc..

Is there a ferry that will take us from Boston to Cape Cod?

Rates and how long does it take?

Also, anything interesting in Cape Cod?

We will be visiting the area in September.

Illinois

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

Hi, yes there are ferries from Boston to Cape Cod, they arrive at Provincetown, a very interesting town.

http://www.baystatecruisecompany.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

The ferries from Boston to P-town are for people only, no cars. There's a lot to see in P-town and in the summer there is "the summer shuttle" which will take you to various places, including the beaches of the National Seashore.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

Oh my Illinois, is there anything to do on the Cape? It's a totally unique place in the US and especially interesting for folks from IL like you and me. You CAN ferry into Provincetown and stay in that area but that village is not typical of the rest of the Cape. To get a better experience get a rental car at Logan and drive down and around on the Cape. If you do that then book the rental right away for the lowest rates. You can always cancel for no penalty later. we usually fly from ORD to BOS on JetBlue since they seem to employ pleasant folks, have really comfortable seating and don't charge for bags.

I'm going to send you some more Cape info. Look up beside your screen name for a note.

BTW, if you still like the idea of taking the ferry to Provincetown then you can still get a car rental in that area too, probably from Enterprise.

Hope you decide to go for 5 - 10 days. Have fun.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
995 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

There are two ferry services between Boston and Provincetown:

www.bostonharborcruises.com and www.baystatecruisecompany.com

Both take 90 minutes. If you like going into the ocean, September is an excellent time to visit. The water will be about as warm as it ever gets in this part of the country.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
510 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

thank you everyone for your input. guess i should have mentioned that we will be driving from illinois out there.

thought it would be neat to take the ferry.

illinois

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

That would have been a key piece of information to know up front. The ferries to Provincetown are passengers only.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

Where are you staying and for how long? If you want to get out on the water there are several options like the Cat boat out of Hyannis, a whale watch out of Barnstable Harbor or Provincetown and several ways to get to the islands by ferry. For one, you can pop over to Martha's Vineyard from Falmouth on the Island Queen in 35 minutes across Nantucket Sound. Enjoy Oak Bluffs, have lunch, take the island shuttle to Edgartown then back to the ferry for a nice day trip....leaving the car behind in Falmouth.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
510 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

thank you capecodcharlie... this give me an idea of things we can do, places to see etc.. i appreciate it. We will be in Boston for about 4 days.

Illinois

9. Re: ferry from boston to cape cod?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2012, 05:19