We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

U.S
Level Contributor
269 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

All - Just wanted to share my trip report. Me and my wife visited Boston over the memorial day weekend.

Day 1

- Started from NJ at 8:15 AM and reached Boston at around 2:00 PM (factoring in a couple of rest stops). Parked at the Boston Common parking garage for around $11 per day.

- Walked over to the Hyatt Regency, it is around 10 mts walk. I got the hotel for a good deal around $215 for 2 nights and 3 days through a bid on Price line. Hotel said they could only give room around 4:00 PM. So, walked around the area and then checked in at 4:00 PM

- Stretched our legs a bit and started at 4:30 from the Hotel and started walking down the Freedom trail. The trail was extremely confusing since the red lines that mark the trail were no consistent. However, started walking based on a map that I downloaded . Weather was very sunny and nice

- On the way through the trail, saw a procession where people were dressed up with Horror costumes (not sure what this is - does anyone know?)

- Walked through to Quincy market. There were several events taking place there. Spent some time, had some refreshments and walked down to North End

- North end was very crowded, however, walked through a bit and decided to grab something for dinner. Decided that it would be better to get some take out and eat at the hotel. So, ordered Pizza from Regina's pizza and packed it up. Also, got Cannoli's from Mike's pastry which had a mile long queue to get in

- Took the train from North Street and got down at Downtown crossing and walked to Hotel

- Ate dinner and dessert. Both Regina's pizza and Mike's pastry were nothing to write home about

Day 2

- Got up pretty late since we were very tired from the walking the previous day

- Had breakfast (left over Pizza from previous night) and started from the Hotel at around 11:30

- Took the train from Downtown crossing to North Station. Walked from there to USS Constitution. There were no guided tours provided that day. So, explored the ship, took some photos and then saw the Destroyer ship as well and the museum

- Took the ferry and got down at the Aquarium station, had lunch at Quincy market

- After lunch took the train from Aquarium station to Harvard Square (had to make a few transfers), had coffee at Pret A Manger and listened to some street music and then crossed the street to Harvard and walked a bit and saw the main part of the University. By this time we were very tired due to the walk in the hot sun. So, thought we would just return to the Hotel (after we found out that it was 7:00 PM and the Newbury street shops close early on Sunday). We skipped MIT. Took the train back from Harvard Square to Downtown crossing, relaxed a bit and hit the bed

Day 3

- Woke up late, ate Dunkin Donuts breakfast (right behind the hotel)

- Showered, packed, got ready and walked back to Boston Common parking garage took the car, paid $33 for parking for 3 days and drove back to NJ

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
The Boston Common Hotel...
829 Reviews
Boston, MA
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,417 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,863 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mike's Pastry
Mike's Pastry
7,559 Reviews
Boston, MA
North Street Grille
North Street Grille
262 Reviews
Boston, MA
Downtown Crossing
Downtown Crossing
157 Reviews
Boston, MA
USS Constitution
USS Constitution
1,358 Reviews
Boston, MA
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,171 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,162 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,487 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

Did you enjoy your trip?

I walked all around the city on Saturday, too, from Downtown to the Rose Kennedy Greenway to Charlestown to Beacon Hill, The Boston Common, The Public Garden to Fenway and back to the harbor. I saw some of "horror" costumes, too, at the Boston Common. I have no idea what that was about but would be interested in knowing what it was. Did you see all the flags on Boston Common? That was a site to be seen.

Mentioned in this post
Rose Kennedy Greenway
Rose Kennedy Greenway
414 Reviews
Boston, MA
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,097 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
The Boston Common Hotel...
829 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,227 Reviews
Boston, MA
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,254 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,487 Reviews
Boston, MA
U.S
Level Contributor
269 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

Yes I enjoyed my trip. There is so much to walk around and see. But it was also very tiring walking to every place.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

It was the Zombie March. They have them a couple of times a year.

crawlofthedead.com/crawls/…

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

Those zombie marches are not safe! They provide opportunities for actual zombies to infiltrate society!!!

U.S
Level Contributor
269 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

There was a guy dressed as a vampire who asked "Do you want to take a picture of me sinking my teeth into your girlfriend". He mistook my wife for girlfriend. We did not go for the picture.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 17:47
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

Hope you enjoyed your trip. We did have some warm beautiful weather this past weekend . I have never heard of these "Zombie Walks" ..seems disturbing.. Rantipole..too funny..lol

7. Re: Trip Report 5/28 - 5/30

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 06:38