We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere downtown I should not run?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere downtown I should not run?

Hi everyone-

I'm planning to be in Boston the end of the month, I've been lurking here a lot but this is my first post.

I'll be staying at Nine Zero and am trying to plot some running routes around there. I just want to know if there are any areas that would not be considered safe to run. Obviously I'll run in the daytime, be aware of my surroundings, etc, but just didn't know as a female if there were areas that might not be good to go into.

TIA!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

How far are you going?

I would head to the river and you will be safe. Commonwealth Ave in the morning is very nice, a few too many dogs on occasion.

You are about a half mile from the river. You can get there via Cambridge or Charles Street.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

I wouldn't call downtown boston a runner's city. A better idea is to head over to the charles where you won't be dodging cars and you will find many people running on both sides of the river. I used to run many years ago on Comm Av between BC and Waban which is essentially heartbreak hill along the Marathon route. You could catch the green line to the end at BC and start around there.

www.soundkeepers.com/running/boston.html

Here is another website with some routes for you.

http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Boston+MA

Boston
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

During the day you should be OK just about anywhere downtown. But, yes along the river is a great place.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

Boston is a safe city compared to most of the U.S. Anything along waterfront (either river or harbor) will be a good bet. Just remember, that the streets are narrow and the sidewalks are also narrow and somtimes made of brick or stone. Drivers here might not be able to see you due to street configurations.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 03:27
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

These maps may be useful: http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Boston+MA

Boston
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

Mention of the harbor, makes me remember that the Harborwalk or a portion of it would be a good place to run.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

The classic place in Boston to run, and the place where most Boston runners run, is the ring of parkland that surrounds the Charles River Basin in Boston and Cambridge. On both sides of the river are walkways where you can run. Along much of the route, there are dirt footpaths created by runners who prefer not to run on pavement. You can run up one side of the river as far as you want, turn around, and return to your starting point. Or, you can run up one side of the river to one of the bridges that crosses the river, then run back along the other side. The best part of the basin to run along is the part upstream from the Longfellow Bridge (the bridge that connects Cambridge Street in Boston with Main Street in Cambridge). You can run upstream as far as Watertown, a distance (following the winding course of the river) of about 9 miles each way.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

About running downtown, as others have said, streets and sidewalks are narrow in downtown Boston. They are also full of pedestrians. Also, traffic is heavy and congested, so you will be breathing fumes. Finally, you won't be able to get a decent run because of all the obstacles, not least of which is the cross streets. Boston street blocks are very short, and you will not be able to run far (weaving around pedestrians) before you hit a red light. Even outside of business hours, when there are fewer pedestrians, the shortness of the blocks is an issue. For all of these reasons, you'd best stick to parkland for a serious run.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 15:49
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

Wow, I haven't had a chance to get back here. Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like to the river I will go!

10. Re: Anywhere downtown I should not run?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:20