We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

Hi all, I am bringing my 6 yr old this summer for our first visit. Staying at Residence Inn at Tudor Wharf. I don't want to lug an umbrella stroller thru the airport and would rather pick up a cheap one once I get into town b/c my daughter is not much of a strenuous walker. I saw a post on here that mentioned Boston's sidewalks are not the best for strollers. Should I even bother trying to find a strolller then?

I have taken daughter to NYC several times and always use one there so I know she will be counting on being wheeled around :) Just wanted some opinions. Can't wait to get there! Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

I think a stroller will serve you well. The issue is in some areas you will be negotiating cobblestone and brick walks rather than concrete.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

I always yield for strollers.

Somerville
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

Some strollers are so large you don't have a choice about yielding.

I suppose it's possible the hotel might have a stroller, possibly left by earlier visitors.

Any suggestions of best downtown place to get one? I'm thinking maybe Marshalls. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any consignment shops downtown but there may be some which would have strollers.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

I saw some at CVS the other day. There is a CVS not far from your hotel in Charlestown but I don't know for sure if that particular CVS has them.

The first part of your walk to downtown from Tudor Wharf is over a low bridge where part of the sidewalk is a wooden deck. That might be obnoxious in an umbrella stroller, but then again, your daughter might like it. Also, since she's older, if you get to a patch of cobblestones or "sets" (sort of like granite bricks) or brick that's too rough, you just have her get out and walk for a bit.

5. Re: Stroller-friendly sidewalks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:19