We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

My husband and I are travelling to Boston in July with our 16 month old. I am looking for a reasonably priced (under $170/night) hotel with free parking that is walking distance (in a safe area) to the subway. We have travelled a bit, are not really picky and don’t need a fancy hotel. Ideally, we don’t want to spend a long time on the subway to get into downtown.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that fits these criteria?

I was looking at the Holiday Inn Express (69 Boston St), and it seems like it is close to the subway, and it’s about a 10 minute ride to Boston Common, so that is the frontrunner at the moment (assuming my research is correct about the location and subway ride). Are there any major issues with this hotel? Am I correct in assuming that downtown is only a short ride away?

I was looking at some hotels near the airport, but those seem to be at least a 30 minute ride away.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 17:41
Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

Liberty I think you are confusing the Holiday Inn Express near the TD Garden with the one on Boston St. The Boston St. location is not downtown.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

o...thanks..that's a horse of a different color

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

As Cabinet mentioned, that Holiday Inn Express is not downtown, it's on the side of the highway in a not exactly great part of town.

I don't know of any hotel downtown that has free parking, but many are within walking distance to the T (what we call the subway here). What dates in July are you looking at exactly?

Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

We are looking for a hotel for July 18-21.

I'm not looking for a hotel that's downtown, I just don't want to have a long trip in on the T. (It looked like the hotels near the airport were a 30+minute ride away).

Is this area really unsafe? I've heard that this area is more industrial, which I don't mind. Since we are travelling with our son, we are planning on being back at the hotel by 7pm, so we won't be walking around in the dark.

I also came across the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston which seems to be in the same area. Would this be a better hotel then the Holiday Inn Express?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

Both hotels are about next to each other. It's not an area I would like to stay in, but it seems to fit well with what you're looking for.

Edited: 22 June 2011, 19:06
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

I wouldn't stay in either. Silver Line trolley from the airport to South Station is about 20 minutes. I'd also look at Hotel Indigo in Newton.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

What do you mean by "downtown".

Park Street Station is "down town". It's at the Common, near the start of the Freedom Trail, the frogpond, the Public Garden and the Swan Boats.

Aquarium Station is "downtown", it's near the Aquarium (obviously), trolley tours are sold near there, the North End (Italian nighborhood) the Rose Kennedy greenway (with a carousel) and Quincy Market are nearby.

According to www.mbta.com's trip planner, if you leave at 9am on a weekday from HI on Boston St to Park Street is 20 minutes, from HI on Boston Street to Aquarium is 39 mins,

From the Embassy Suites at the airport, it's 32 minutes to Park Street Station and only 21 to Aquarium.

So, no matter where you stay, you won't be with in a 30 minute commute via public transportation to where you want to be.

Just my thoughts.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

Hi,

That Holiday Inn Express on Boston St., while it is in an ugly industrial part of the city, is a very nice, clean hotel with free parking, and it is about a 10 minute walk from the Red Line at Andrew, or there's a shuttle bus. If you read the reviews here on TA, it does very well. I've also had relatives stay there and they liked the convenience and friendliness of it, as well as the value for the money.

The area gets a bad rap for being unsafe, but it's not unsafe, just ugly. I wouldn't let my relatives stay there if I thought it was unsafe. Don't confuse the two. The Fenway neighborhood is a quaint area, but I'd be careful walking around there late at night. Looks can be deceiving.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 00:57
Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel walking distance to subway (close to downtown)

Thank you everyone for your input! Forgotmypword, you make a good point of "downtown" being different places. The two things we want to do while we're in Boston is a tour of Fenway and the Freedom trail, so I think we are going to go with one of the hotels on Boston St. I appreciate the input!